Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About half an hour ago i noticed what looked like a small cut on Nina's thigh/groan area. But when she stretched up to see me I realised it was actually worse than i had first thought. When her leg is fully extended I can actually see the flesh/muscle of the thigh through the stretched out cut. I washed it as best i could with warm water and a cotton bud and i've placed her in a small one story cage just for now since movement seemed to be making it worse (she was still acting herself and climbing the cage bars).

I think it could be due to overzealous playfighting, since my girls spend half their time chasing eachother around the cage or my bedroom. I checked all of my other rats who are fine, and the rest of Nina's body. If it was a serious fight, would there be injuries to the other rat involved?

She's eating and drinking fine for now.

...I have only a fiver to my name as of right now, I've stressed to my dad the importance of vet care and I'm not sure if he is fully convinced. I've promised to pay him back (I always do!) I think it may need stitches to stop it spreading further.

I need some advice, has anyone else's rat gotten injured in this place, i'm afraid every movement is making it worse! I'll post some pictures in the morning incase any of you can tell me how serious they think it is.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
365 Posts
When Thor had his neuter, he had an abcess within a few days. He had to have a second surgery, and had a HUGE gaping hole in his underside.

Which he chewed open.

Two times.

We tried cones, we tried ace bandages, all to no avail, this rat was just gonna have an open wound.

So what I did (at my vet's insistence) was put him in a small cage lined with towels. (paper or otherwise.) That way no particulate got caught up in the wound. I changed the bedding every day, or twice a day if it got nasty fast. When I changed the bedding, I also wiped down the whole cage with a sanitizing wipe. (this wasn't hard as it was a small cage.) I did have a hidey hut in there, and in addition to food and water, I put down a small bowl with about a teaspoon of honey in it. I then put sunflower seeds in the honey, to entice him to eat it. Honey has mild antibiotic properties.

Then I did hydrotherapy. Once a day, I put on gloves (cause he didn't like it ONE BIT) and held his wound (and only his wound as much as I could manage, and I got good at it to where I would really only wet the affected area) under warm running water for about five minutes. Or less, if he really couldn't take it, but I tried to keep the wound under the stream of water for as long as I could. I did the wrist test for the water, btw--it should feel the same temp as the skin on the inside of your wrist, same as baby bottle temp.

Then, after I had deposited the irritated, partially-damp rat in a towel and soothed him for a minute or two, I applied a triple antibiotic ointment with pain relief directly to the open wound. (neosporin, bacitracin, etc) He actually minded that less than the water!

Finally, and this is important, I held him on my lap for about HALF AN HOUR and prevented him from licking it off. After that point, he could lick away, as I figure it had done some good.

Now, my vet also had prescribed antibiotics, which I am sure were the major reason the wound stayed infection free. But she was utterly amazed at how fast his wound healed with the hydrotherapy. Said she'd never seen a wound close so quickly and cleanly.

So I don't know if that helps, and it is a lot of work for you, but it is pretty worth it until (and after) you get to see a vet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts