Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat degloved her tail this afternoon!! I'm guessing she got it caught on something since I haven't heard her and her sister fighting today and I'm the only one who has handled her. It's just the tip and it had stopped bleeding by the time I noticed. She seems okay for the time being.

I've read up on it a bit and I know it can be very painful for the rat, but I can't get her to the vet for a few days probably. Is there anything I can do for her until then??

I was considering putting liquid bandage on it and maybe giving her some liquid children's pain meds?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Infant ibuprofen ASAP, then bed her on fleece for a few days until it dries up and nothing can stick to it anymore. keep her cage really clean to prevent infection and she should be okay.

Here's my case history with Lilith...with icky pics too.

http://ratguide.com/health/figures/degloving_injury_figure_4.php

Try to buy this or something similar for infants (more concentrated, less to get into your little rat)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Oooh, pooor baby! That looked so painful!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was so helpful!!! I was able to make an appointment with the vet tomorrow morning and I will start her on some pain meds and change cages. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Infant ibuprofen ASAP, then bed her on fleece for a few days until it dries up and nothing can stick to it anymore. keep her cage really clean to prevent infection and she should be okay.

Here's my case history with Lilith...with icky pics too.

http://ratguide.com/health/figures/degloving_injury_figure_4.php

Try to buy this or something similar for infants (more concentrated, less to get into your little rat)

About how many days passed before you moved her back into her normal cage?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Off topic: RataliePortman. HAH. I thought this was cute.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts