Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting mixed responses on whether or not raw green beans are OK to give rats. I plan to throw them into a homemade mix. Is it OK to dehydrate them for several hours at ~135F/57C?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Don't see why they wouldn't be. The beans that they should not eat raw are the same ones we should not be eating, such as kidney, navy, pinto ect. I use them in my mix. Only a few though, mine don't really like dehydrated vegies. They love them raw or cooked, but they only eat the dehydrated if there is nothing else left in the bowl. Mine are the same with fruit. Raw banana's are yum, dehydrated is so so.

I need a recipe to make like puffy dry sweet potato. Store bought ones have too much junk in them, at least I can't find anything very wholesome for than an occasional treat.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Raw green beans (and dehydrated) are fine, its just most beans that arent and this can lead to confusion. If we can eat them raw then its pretty safe for the rats. French and fine beans are also fine raw. The bad ones are those that are often sold dried and having warnings to soak / cook for a set amount of time before eating (e.g. kidney beans, soya beans and so on, which contain toxins).

I have fed dried green beans in my mix in the past as i like to rotate the dried veg types i try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.