Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just spent the last half-hour fishing Dela out from under my bed when she suddenly got in there. I had let her out and put her on the bed for a moment while I set up the bathroom for an immersion session and I came back and she was gone. I thought she had jumped off and gotten into her fleece box but she wasn't there. I scoured the whole room before I finally cut out the front part of the cardboard wedged under my bed and there she was, running around like it was her own personal playground.I had to pull out another side and take almost everything out from under the bed before I could get her out. I had scared her (or made her realize that if I caught her the fun would be over) when I first saw her. Then she refused to come to me, even for treats. I finally got her out by rolling things at her (Sorry baby <\3) to get her to crawl out from under my bed and go to the fleece box. I then grabbed her and manhandled her back to her cage when she squirmed. I really didn't want her getting loose and going back under my bed again...

I'm really not sure how she got under my bed in the first place though... I have measured cardboard wedged under my bed to the point that it's difficult for me to get it out. This covers three sides of my bed and makes it impossible for them to get under from here. That leaves the front (Back?) of my bed against the wall. The matress is wedged against the wall there so I don't know how she could've done that either. The only place I can think of is against my dresser but I wedged a pillow in there and it was still in the same position when I checked. I just really don't know...

This means I can't free-range until I can figure it out though... I really don't know what to do about it. I can provide a video tomorrow of the setup around my bed if anyone is interested in spot-checking me and maybe seeing if they can find the weak spot? It really scared me when I couldn't find my baby and she wouldn't come to me when I asked her to (She was having too much fun XD).

·
Registered
437 Posts
My rats always get places they're not suppose to be! I've had more than my fair share of rats under my bed too! I have a tiny room so I store pretty much everything under there. Maybe just let her calm down a little if she's acting skittish because of it and then attempt the immersion session later. :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay... I really feel bad for scaring her but it terrified me when she was suddenly gone. (I fixed my first post... It messed up)

·
Registered
437 Posts
That's similar to my set up actually (the measured cardboard wedged under the bed). You'd be surprised how willing a rat is the wriggle and squeeze it's way into a sectioned off space. I've had rats climb behind my mattress but it isn't right against the wall like yours. You mentioned going into the bathroom and leaving her for a few moments, that's all it takes. I just keep an eye on my rats constantly and that way if they start wriggling their way to somewhere their not suppose to be I can stop them. You'll never really know how she got down there unless she does it again in front of you but she's out now so there's nothing to worry about for the meantime. There's no point in feeling bad about it now, rats get up to all sorts of mischief! Good luck with your immersion sessions, I know they worked wonders for me and my rats. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Let her go and follow right behind. If she's anything like my girl she'll go RIGHT for where she's not supposed to be. You grab her the second she starts digging and you have your answer.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay... That was my biggest worry. Once she finds an interesting (Forbidden >.>) place she loves it. I just hope I snag her before she can actually get in again... Thank you, both if you. :3 I'll try following her later tonight after my vet appointment and I'll be more careful about watching them. My little troublemakers XD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts