Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was told to make a post here about this.

Why is there no "delete my post" button?

I think that it should be available for the poster of a post to delete their own post (not the whole thread of course but their own post)

I've never been to a forum that does not have this feature.

·
Registered
981 Posts
rattikins said:
No no no no.... not the entire thread, JUST a post.

If you make a post you should be able to delete it later.

If there was a delete button, then the first post, being mine, would have been deleted.

And being that at the time I choose to delete it there were no posts below mine, that is the only time the whole THREAD would also be deleted, if there had been no posts as of yet.

Does that make more sense now?
I figured this was the better place to discuss this. I'm just curious, then, for example, what would happen if you deleted your topic-starting post right now? Would this post I'm making right now become first? Or would a post made by you remain as the first that just said something like "<Post deleted by rattikins>"

If the first is the case, I can see where that'd get quite confusing. If the second is the case, I'd think editing your post could have the same effect.

How has it worked in other forums?

(Truthfully, though, this may all be moot as the software which generates this forum may simple not allow a delete button to exist to non-moderators)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly, it would say "Post has been deleted by original poster"

It could be confusing, but if you think about it, the whole point is that the poster wishes to "take back" what they said or changed their mind about wanting it to be discussed.

I guess we're talking about human rights here, LOL! The right to change your mind about a post for whatever reason.

It works perfectly fine on other forums, and actually keeps the "clutter" down, as an accident post, like mine on the other forum, would have been deleted within seconds of being posted and would automatically disappear.

So as long as no one else has posted, it would never have existed, leading to less people having to take the time to read a post entitled "." HA HA HA!!

If the original post is deleted, the discussion does not have to continue based upon the original post (thereby protecting the original poster's autonomy), so there should be no confusion. At most you'd lose one thing - relief to unnecessary curiosity. LOL!

Anyway, if it is an option of the software, I think it's only right that it be enabled, as I said it's human right to change one's mind :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
I do think I like the ability to completely remove a post if you are the only one that has posted in it.

On the flip side, maybe that's a job that should only be left to the mods? I don't know, I'm very undecided on this topic! I will say that implementing the delete button certainly shouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I think the point is to keep people from deleting their posts, as this causes confusion. Also, it keeps people from starting fights and then deleting the post and attempting to deny it, etc. I don't think it's really fair to 'take back' anything that was said, unless you're editting it for clarity or something.

As it is, we can edit our posts, which is more than some forums allow. :)

I suppose you could just change it to 'mods please delete', if that's allowed...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sometimes I feel that there is a bit too much individuated control going on here....

I don't personally like that the mods can "lock" threads simply because people are in disagreement (which is part of life). How can one individual decide whether or not a thread should be locked, it's all perspective isn't it? Sometimes it is important for people to work out their own problems themselves, we're not all children and I believe that it should be left to those involved to be able to come to understand each other, not ended by "parenting" the problem away.

And of course I dislike that you cannot delete a post if it was done by mistake - seems like there's a lot of morbid curiosity being defended here.... lol!

For example, if someone says something and then finds their answer elsewhere so they delete their post, why is it that people would say "ohhh what did they say, I wanna know... tell me, tell me, tell me". Clearly they do not wish it to be spoken about and we should respect that, no? I don't see what is confusing, they no longer wish to have any reposes to their personal post, right? So nothing is lost.

Don't worry, I won't make a fuss or anything, but I always get nervous when human rights are being taken away, no matter what they are.

No matter... from now on I will just change my post to "Post Deleted" if I need to. :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm not so much concerned about the confusion as i am about having to constantly repeat advice for people because they can't find a topic about since its been deleted.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
renay said:
I'm not so much concerned about the confusion as i am about having to constantly repeat advice for people because they can't find a topic about since its been deleted.

I don't think such posts would be deleted, renay. If people post something that is giving advice why would they delete it?

I want a delete button so if I post something and then decide I didn't want to post it, I have the ability and right to remove it within seconds.

And you know you're going to be repeating advice until the cows come home anyway LOL!! :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
What about if you post something twice??

·
Registered
995 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sky14 said:
That is a wonderful point and an excellent addition to my reasons why there should be a delete button.

And the double post is quite funny too, sky!!! :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I really don't understand why you think there is such a difference between a delete button and asking a mod to delete a post.

Quite frankly, double posts are about the only posts that are truly necessary to delete (except for spam, but that's notwithstanding...)

·
Registered
798 Posts
there is a point here, actually there are two lol :p Maybe a delete button should be added, what harm would it do to those of us who aren't going to use it? But for those who will use it, it will come in handy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly Renay.

I personally can't see any reason not to give people the ability to delete their own post. Why argue against giving someone rights? :?

I honestly don't even think it would be used that often, but when needed it's there. Why should only a mod hold the sacred ability to delete our own posts? :p

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
rattikins said:
Exactly Renay.

I personally can't see any reason not to give people the ability to delete their own post. Why argue against giving someone rights? :?

I honestly don't even think it would be used that often, but when needed it's there. Why should only a mod hold the sacred ability to delete our own posts? :p
Because it's a moderator's duty to keep the forum in check. That's their job.

A delete button isn't a right. It's a privilege.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yeah I think I might be leaning more in Forensic's direction on this one. If you ever wanted to delete a post just change the title/text to <Deleted> or something and it'd die quickly (Maybe even get deleted by a mod).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cjshrader said:
Yeah I think I might be leaning more in Forensic's direction on this one. If you ever wanted to delete a post just change the title/text to <Deleted> or something and it'd die quickly (Maybe even get deleted by a mod).
Point and case - I changed my post to "." and had multiple replies curiously about what it said. Had I been able to delete it right away, no one would have troubled with it whatsoever. :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
I think a lot of the mods are busy right now and I have a feeling that when Ratman sees it, he'll just say the same thing I said about delete buttons. They aren't supported by phpBB and not worth the effort to add in himself.

But in any case, if you'd changed your post to "<Deleted>" instead of just a period I bet it would have gotten no interested posts. The fact that it had just a period and the single word "How" is what really grabbed people's attention.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
cjshrader said:
I think a lot of the mods are busy right now and I have a feeling that when Ratman sees it, he'll just say the same thing I said about delete buttons. They aren't supported by phpBB and not worth the effort to add in himself.

But in any case, if you'd changed your post to "<Deleted>" instead of just a period I bet it would have gotten no interested posts. The fact that it had just a period and the single word "How" is what really grabbed people's attention.
Yeah... People can't help being curious.

And it isn't really a bother to anyone to poke their head in and wonder what it's all about, especially when there's a very vague remainder of a post.

It's not like I'm paying per click. :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts