Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, I went to check on and he's the rats and I noticed that Denna want as perky eager for baby puffs as usual. Upon closer inspection, I see that she was drooling quite a bit and there looked like bites of good mixed with the drool. She was opening her mouth and pulling her chin to her chest. Her breathing is loud, but doesn't seem labored. I just left for work and it's an hour away ava I won't made it how until 6 ... maybe. It's 7 now. I can't check on her and I'm really worried. I'll be calling the very vet soon as she opens, but that's not for another hour. And she's an hour in the opposite direction from my home with the rush hour traffic... and she doesn't work late enough for me to make it... I don't have anyone who can check on her: my parents don't like my rats and my friends are all in school or working. I'm really scared that I'm going to come home to a dead rat...

I've attached a blurry pic of Denna and the drool she left. Sorry, it's a little gross.

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should now that a swung her in a downward arc a few times in an attempt to dislodge whatever is in her throat..

·
Registered
20 Posts
How long were you home with her while she was choking? If you were home for a good amount of time I would assume that she was getting enough air into her lungs..if she wasn't she would have passed out. Also if she was making a lot of noise that is a good sign. If her airway was entirely blocked there would have been no noise at all. Baby puffs are designed for babies, they are made so that if they do get stuck they dissolve fairly quickly from saliva. I think she should be okay, but for your peace of mind I would see if you can find ANYONE to check on her.. even if your parents don't like your rats just tell them to look in the cage and see if she is breathing or not.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Not very long. Maybe about 15 minutes. I don't think it was a baby puff since I haven't given them any since last night and they get eaten right away. I honestly have no idea what she ate... It was the same color as the HT2018 pellets I feed... or maybe some of the grains I have in their variety mix... I have no idea.

My parents really don't like my rats. My mom won't even look at pictures of them. I'm asking around my friends to see if they can... but most likely, they won't be able to.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had this kind of scare back in November. In that case it was a piece of banana that caused choking of my Niunia. Did you give Denna anything sticky to eat? Or is there a chance she foud something like that in the cage?
It will not help her now of course, but if you establish what she ate at least you know this is choking, and not something more serious. As a little reassurance I can tell you that choking usually passes on its own. Unfortunately rats do not vomit, so they only regurgitate food. This is what that white froth on her chin is. It may go on for a long time, much more than 15 minutes. The good thing is that she is breathing and frothing - food should eventually come out. When Niunia ate that banana, it took her about 90 minutes to regurgitate everything, and she looked exactly the same as Denna, and made the same movement of chin and head. Hope your girl will be fine by the time you get back home.

Your parents may not like rats, that's ok. But maybe they can at least take a look (from a distance) every now and then if the rat lives and give you a call? Just ask them. Surely nobody is heartless.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have dried bananas in their variety mix... That's the only sticky thing... maybe the dried pineapple (very rare in the mix). I dehydrate them myself iwth a dehydrator, so they don't end up crunchy like the storebought ones...

No, my mom had my dad build a shed in the backyard (it has heating and cooling), and then had the shed painted so that it blended in and couldn't be seen from the house... She's not going anywhere close to that shed. It's not that she's heartless so much as she's downright terrified by the little ones. She grew up in Indonesia where rats are vectors for some pretty nasty diseases and weren't as... cuddly... as our lovable critters. Unfortunately, she's never shaken that belief off. It's OK though; it's a little infuriating at times, but she has her quirks, I have mine. I think I have a friend who may be free enough to at least stop by.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news! A friend may be able to stop by at some point today, and I've let an emergency vet clinic know that I may be stopping by.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So my friend was able to drop by and check on them. She said that she doesn't see any drool and everyone (including Denna) is all curled up and relaxing... and everyone's breathing. Just another 5-6 hours until I get home. Lol, I'm a worrywart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts