Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!! One of my two rats, Cookie, passed on sunday, and Mischief is obviously depressed. She is not moving around unless she is out of her cage, you can see the sad look in her eye, etc. I was wondering, is it too soon to get another rat? I would be able to get her on Friday. I just want to make sure Mischief won't be more stressed with a newcomer.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i would go for a new friend asap. Rats aren't like humans, they don't need time to grieve, instead they get very depressed in many cases and can stop eating and looking after themselves. Get them a friend and they perk right up, i had a girl in deaths for due to just giving up when she lost her sister. i got her a friend and despite intros being a bit hectic she perked right up and stayed eating and living again. i would recommend 2 baby girls. That way one won't be left alone when your older girl passes on

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Mostly, it's up to you and the time you need to grieve.. best friends aren't really replaceable, but there comes a time when new friends become welcome again....

And yes a new friend will stress Mischief, but with rats stress isn't always a bad thing... it's how they deal with change and in the long run a new friend is better than being alone.

Keep in mind, if Mischief is an adult, the new friend should be at least 10 weeks old... Female rats respond badly to other rat's pups.

My condolences and best wishes for the perfect new friend.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will attempt to get a young ratty female. Unfortunately, there is practically no place to get a rat nearby where I am besides Petco and Petsmart, and Petsmart only has males. I will try to get a girl on friday, if I can't get it tomorrow. My mom says no to getting to young females, Missy is pretty young still though, from nose to tail stretched out she might be 10-14 inches.

Thanks so much!

Is there a specific color I should get for my berkshire Mischief? Are albinos really blind as a lot of people say, or is that just a myth?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Color does not matter to other rats. Also, size/length is not a good indicator of age. ;) Yes, PEWs are nearly blind, but rats in general don't have the best eyesight, so it's not a huge problem for them.

Where are you located? Maybe someone knows of a rescue or breeder near you. You can also check Craigslist but beware of bybs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts