Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is really frustrating.

I buy these chewing blocks for my rats but...of course they never chew on them. I even buy the ones that have flavors infused in them. But no...they refuse.

but Blinkin' has no problem chewing up her hammock.
They like to chew up cardboard....but not that often.

I was wondering if any of you have suggestions.

·
Registered
263 Posts
XD I couldn't tell you. Maybe you should just leave them in there, but not worry that they don't want to gnaw on 'em.

(Mine don't use their hammock, so I don't bother putting it in there anymore, heh)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hehe. Rats are going to chew. It's just a fact of rattie ownership. They will chew the lovely hammocks I made for them all to smithereens given enough time. Luckily for me my three aren't the hugest of chewers. They just like to decorate their hammocks a bit. Or chew one corner and make a flat hammock into a pocket hammock lol.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was relieved to find this morning that Sweet Pea had chewed on her blocks so that makes me happy ^-^ it wasn't a complete waste.

I guess I'll just have to try more things

·
Registered
130 Posts
Artemis loves toilet paper rolls. He even tried to crawl through it and had a hard time getting out! XD Now he just chews on them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's hilarious when Adie gets stuck in them. She waves her head in them trying to get out lol.

They do seem to enjoy cardboard...they have a little box they chew in at night...which is noisy but I'm not complaining lol

·
Registered
264 Posts
I will sometimes rub a little drop of honey on the wood chew thingies....not very often...but just enough to get them interested.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Jingles said:
I will sometimes rub a little drop of honey on the wood chew thingies....not very often...but just enough to get them interested.
oohh....good idea. How did you think of it?

as for the whole chewing problem, I'd say, just give them a little more time. maybe, you could give them a special treat after they chew on it. THat could work. THey, could also be the kind of rats (how rats do you have?) that just don't like to chew on them. My rat, Templeton , prefers cardboard over chews. Yup, Templeton likes cardboard much more then the chews. Like I said, Maybe you should just give them some more time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My rats absolutely adore mineral chews - like the Chilly Chews or the Mineral Charm chews you can find at PetSmart. They won't really touch wood, but they will gnaw on cardboard and soft plastic occassionally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts