Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I bought a very cool hammoc for my ratties and it's adorable but they have chewed the insideout of it......AND tunneled INSIDE of the hammoc and now reside inside of it....why are they doing this? Is there a kind of material they won't masticate? (sp) THanks!

*edited by moderators to remove swearing*

·
Registered
407 Posts
rats chew. Annoying isnt it? :(
Some rats chew more than others; some rats chew seemingly not at all.

In one of my girls' cage (there are 5 particular girls in this one cage), there are 2 chewers...one chews a little, the other ALOT....the rest of them, seemingly not at all. Between the 2 chewers, I replace LOTS of hammocks. I dont buy them anymore. Instead I get old towels or cheap comfy material & cut it into squares of 15 x 15 (inches) & hang them up hammock style with metal shower curtain rings or binder rings. It does the job and is WAY cheaper.

If there IS a way to get a rat to quit chewing, I have NO clue as to what it could be - sorry :(

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Maybe they were chilly and wanted to hide away?

Or it could just be the 'hide' influence. Perhaps with double layer hammocks they wouldn't do that?

My boys seem to have their moments. Certain hammocks are treasured and treated well. Others are targetted the instant they are within the cage.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i don't know about your rats but mine get descructive when the hammocks need cleaning. they nibble on them before but when they need washed they will ripp them off the cage or chew a hole striaght through it. try washing the hammocks more i guess is my suggestion.

but as the others said too, rats chew. its part of having rats. ferret.com has really cheap but quality hammocks. you may want to stock up on those if you don't want to make your own. i;ve seen hammocks i paid nearly $40 on there being sold for $3.50. their prices are insane but i love it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
i made a cool hammock/tunnel thing out of the other halfs denim jeans, just cut the leg off towards the bottom and hung it with 4 peices of string which i pops thru the top of the denim.
Didint look too bad either and they love it!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I bought the coolest reversible hammock thing for my rats for nearly $20 and within several weeks (and numerous patch jobs) it had been chewed beyond recognition. Sooo, no more store-bought hammocks for me. I buy a yard or two of fleece, elastic straps, and lanyard clips and just make my own. For the same price of one store bought hammock I can make 4 or 5 hammocks. Except for a few minor nibbles they’ve left the homemade hammocks intact.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You should actually be very happy that they are doing something with it. You said they chewed it in order to make a cave thingy? Well y dont u get them a hidey house they may need somewhere to hide and feel safer. Then try adding hammocks and after a bit they might appreciate the actual uses of the items lol =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts