Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turns out my adorable little Taz-Man (Tasmanian devil lol) is making quite a mess of things. He rips out foam from the cushions, chews electric cords, and tries to climb over the wall during free roam. He'll rip tape off and chew right down to the bare wires!!! He has no fear, climbs on my head looking for ways to escape. Looking for trouble! 馃槦

I'm at my wits end trying to save the A/C and fans and water pumps, etc. I've put boxes around them, and he chews right through. I've put conduit covers on the water pump cord, but he chews where the wire is exposed.

Do they grow out of this behavior? Is there a way to deter them?

Registered
Goldenboy 馃悁鈾傦笍, Cinnabun 馃悁鈾傦笍, Phobos 馃悁鈾傦笍, Deimos馃悁鈾傦笍
Do they have plenty of chew stuff in their cage? Does he chew on it? Sometimes my rats are super picky about what they like to chew on. Mine love plastic the most. Maybe if you gave him a chew inside his cage that is somewhat similar so he can get his energy out?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they have plenty of chew stuff in their cage? Does he chew on it? Sometimes my rats are super picky about what they like to chew on. Mine love plastic the most. Maybe if you gave him a chew inside his cage that is somewhat similar so he can get his energy out?
He has plenty to chew in his cage. He's destroyed 2 corners of every plastic tray lol. He seems to prefer electrical cords outside the cage. Maybe the current, or the warmth... or he's just a butthead. Now that you mention plastic, I might get some dog toys to add to the cage and free roam. Maybe he'll take a fancy to those lol. Thank you for your input!

Registered
Goldenboy 馃悁鈾傦笍, Cinnabun 馃悁鈾傦笍, Phobos 馃悁鈾傦笍, Deimos馃悁鈾傦笍
They're little buttheads for sure! My rats LOVE to chew this plastic collapsible tube I got for them. I would highly recommend it. I just got it on Amazon, if you search hamster tube it should come up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am wondering if he will 'grow out' of this behavior or if I will forever be covering electrical cords and outlets 馃槵

Registered
You might try using a playpen type situation for free roam. I used cardboard boxes taped together for a long time and then gpt the carboard presentation boards from the craft store. Now I let them free roam in my room. All cords have protective tubing and I only have stuff I don't mind that they chew on. Unfortunately, chewing is instinctive to rats.

Registered
Ruben and Charlie (K9s-Mutts) and various large South American cichlids
That sounds exactly like my Shady! He is the most destructive rat I've ever had. The other boys gently explore and wrestle with each other but Shady has always been intense, athletic, assertive and destructive. He left a trail of chewed bedframes, base-boards cords and dressers. I watched him literally jump to the top of my dresser and push the lamp off. He destroyed the little modular pen that works great for the other boys (and girls). I attribute it to normal male hormones, maybe more than the other boys have. They have made him bold, fearless and athletic. The other boys are nothing like him. There is nothing wrong with being bold, fearless and athletic...except that I cant contain him and his destructiveness. I ended up getting a very large, outdoor rabbit hutch/pen that has a 2 level 'house' with ramps and , at over 8 feet, has plenty of room to put toys and boxes and things to climb and explore. It is a safe spot for not only him to play, but the others too. I would honestly prefer something like a large 'catio'. An indoor or outdoor space for cats that has walls of shelves and 'catwalks' and places to hide and have fun. These are pretty expensive, so maybe down the road. For now the rabbit pen will do for my little troublemaker.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds exactly like my Shady! He is the most destructive rat I've ever had. The other boys gently explore and wrestle with each other but Shady has always been intense, athletic, assertive and destructive. He left a trail of chewed bedframes, base-boards cords and dressers. I watched him literally jump to the top of my dresser and push the lamp off. He destroyed the little modular pen that works great for the other boys (and girls). I attribute it to normal male hormones, maybe more than the other boys have. They have made him bold, fearless and athletic. The other boys are nothing like him. There is nothing wrong with being bold, fearless and athletic...except that I cant contain him and his destructiveness. I ended up getting a very large, outdoor rabbit hutch/pen that has a 2 level 'house' with ramps and , at over 8 feet, has plenty of room to put toys and boxes and things to climb and explore. It is a safe spot for not only him to play, but the others too. I would honestly prefer something like a large 'catio'. An indoor or outdoor space for cats that has walls of shelves and 'catwalks' and places to hide and have fun. These are pretty expensive, so maybe down the road. For now the rabbit pen will do for my little troublemaker.
That's wonderful that you have such a large space for your ratties!! And my condolences on your Shady (love the name) the most troublesome ones are also the most adorable. Taz got into the air conditioner AGAIN and ripped out all the foam. Then I found chewed wires on the water pump AGAIN. I taped cardboard up on the AC and covered all the electric cords with conduit cover. Seems to be working, but then I found Taco was chewing on wires too. :oops: I'll have to replace the conduit covers as they chew through, I guess. But it's funny that The Bean, who is wild, is the least destructive :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Taz the Destroyer continues to live up to his name. He is truly a Tasmanian Devil. But such a love bug 馃 He will fall asleep while I scritch his neck and shoulders and is a hand-puppy of the best kind. I replace the protective covers on the wires and pick up the foam bits. He is who he is lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts