Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I had noticed that Poppy's left eye was bulging out a bit and that there was a lump right under her ear. I took her to the vet and he said that it's either a tumor or some kind of inner eat abscess, and that no matter what it was there wasn't much he would feel comfortable doing because of its placement. So he prescribed some baytril and said that if it goes down it's probably an abscess and if not, then it's most likely a tumor.

She's not in any pain, she's still eating and drinking, and after a few days her eye seems to be less... bulgy. But the lump is still there. I just don't know if I should wait until it seems like she's in pain / she stops eating, or if I should make the decision if her eye starts to get bad again after we run out of baytril. :( He said that there's probably just some pressure against her eye and not much, if any, pain, but just... sdfkjghsugbas I dunno. I hate making choices like this. I guess I kind of wanted to just vent about it?? And I guess I'm asking for advice as well but I know that ultimately the choice is up to me. Bleh.

If anyone would like to see pictures of her eye / the lump let me know and I'll try to get some. Poppy is a bit camera shy though. Here's her when we were waiting at the vet, looking extremely pathetic. ;)
Rat Cage Gerbil Hamster Animal shelter

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have had to make this decision a few times. I'm the type that would rather spare a rat any suffering, rather than letting them endure a painful end. My compass goes like this: If I determine that the rat's condition will not improve or will deteriorate, then I consider euthanasia. You might also consider the stress that the rat will endure while being treated with a nebulizer or yucky medication. All of these are things to weigh that can help you make a humane choice for your pet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts