Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ok, not a rat but the first two letters are the same right? i don't have any pictures right now (need a digtal camera or to get the disposable camera used up and put on disc) but he's about 6 years old and has grey on his nose, ears, around his eyes and on his tail, the rest of him is cream. i've never had a bunny before (never much cared for them really but this guy is different). i was told by his previous owner that they normally only live to be about six so i know i probably won't have much time with him but after having kept rats for so long that doesn't really bother me much.

he seems to be litter box trained (he's using it right now) and he's a real sweetie though understandably a little nervous right now (i just got him yesterday). it also seems though sesshoumaru (3 year old cat) would like nothing more to just lay there and watch him bounce around the living room, minion (6 month old cat) loves to chase the poor guy all around the living room. his previous home had three cats and dexter got along fine with them so i'm wondering if its just because its a new place that he's not putting minion in his place?

i've read up a bit on feeding and general care but i would really like to talk to some fellow rabbit owners as well. you know, for training and to help sift through the good and bad information out there. right now i would really like to know the best way to train a rabbit to walk on a leash. i've seen videos on youtube and on tv of rabbits doing this but when i tried to guide dexter with the leash today he just looked at me as if to say "what do you think you're doing??" so obviously he has not walked on one before. i live in a city so would like to take dexter for walk with me and my son and in park. so if anyone knows of any good rabbit forums (if possible something with a similar feel as this forum) i would greatly apprecaite it if you cold direct me to them.

(pictures to come when i get the photos developed)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
AmyBunny (is that right) gave a link to a good rabbit forum she moderated. You might want to find her post in the intro section.

Congrats on your Bun! I know NOTHING about rabbits.

I did think their lifespan was longer than that though, is it this breed that has such a short one. I think I've read 15 years.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was told six years for a dwarf by the owner (kept him really well from what i cna tell on rabbit welfare but she's been in and out of hospital and looks like she will be continuing that trend for a long while so wanted a home that could give him more love and be physcally able to take care of him) and from the few sites i read it said the same thing (though they also said with a good diet and excerise they can live to be 10). but yeah, i thought they lived longer then six years too. but you can see why i would like to talk to other rabbit owners, just like the information on rats there seems to be a lot of questionable information out on rabbits.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Different Breeds have Different Lifespans, from What I was told When I purchased our 2.

Rabbits LOVE Timothy Hay...Absolutly NO Alfalfa Hay though.
(its bad for them)

Oh yeah,
I have a Black Lion-Head, and a White/little bit of grey Holland Lop

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't know what i have except that its a dwarf of some sort. do you know how long dwarfs are expected to live? and i thought alfalfa was good for bunnies (pretty much the only one that i thought it was right for). what problems does alfalfa cause? are comerical rabbit pellets ok for them?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts