Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone,

this is my first post but i've been reading for a while now and i have to say its a great source of information here!

anyway onto my question, i rescued 2 rats that needed a new home about a week and a half ago and one of them has been sneezing a lot and i'm not sure if its a respiratory infection yet or if it was caused by the stupid previous owners keeping them in really dusty hay (they gave me the hay with the rats and when i saw how dusty it was i knew it wasn't good for them) so they are now in shredded paper and hopefully that will solve the problem but i'm got a friend who's a small mammal fan with a huge collection of all sorts of rodents including rats and is a vet nurse who can check them out if things don't improve.

the main problem is that i developed a really bad chest infection which landed me in bed for the last 3 days with a really high fever and splitting headache... i was wondering if it was possible that i caught something from my Rats or if its just really badly timed coincidence.

the rats weren't cared for as well as they should have been and came to me absolutely stinking with poo stuck in their fur so it wouldn't surprise me if i caught something from them! they are all lovely and clean now though and seem a lot happier compared to when i first met them at the previous owners home!

anyway i'd really appreciate any help here!

oh i nearly forgot the rats are both scratching a lot, now i've checked and i don't see any mites or fleas etc but i bought some insecticidal spray for them anyway just in case, but i think its more likely to be a skin irritation after the state their fur was in when i got them, advice on this would also be really appreciated!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
it is very unlikely that you caught anything from the rats

If I had to say you were infected by anything in the story above it may have been the hay

I'm sure it is just a coincidence.

As for the mites, you may not see anything because often you can't see them with the naked eye. Be sure to get them vet checked & do not use some over the counter spray on them because it could very well be toxic for rats. Formulas are developed with specific animals in mind... like dogs & cats. If you use something that was designed for a 10 or 25 pound animal then you will most likely over dose one that weighs 1/2 a pound or less.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Often rats that came from filthy conditions will groom excessively for awhile. Watch to see if they are enjoying themselves (the often will scratch with a hind foot then chew on the nails in between) or if they are raking, stopping dead and scratching like mad.

If they are raking then you should definitely treat for parasites (/Revolution from your vet or Ivermectin sold locally...not pet stores).

Sounds like you had a nasty flu...rats transmit very little to us...strep pneumonia is really the only illness you can get from your pet rats and its very rare.

·
Registered
261 Posts
spaz is right. its strep pnemomia thats contaiges in rats. my rat, eskimo died from that, though it is very rare. we found out three days ago, it was not a respritory infection, it was not a heart problem, a vet told us it was strep pnemonia and told us it is very deadly to a rat.

you can't actually catch anything from your rats and so if you did, it would only be a very small sickness through you. what you probably did is catch the infection the same way the rat did, though you didn't actually catch the rats sickness. one of the way a respritory infection can be developed is by dust so maybe you have a dusty house and thats probably what gave your rat the respritory infection and you the chest infection.

i hope you and your rat get better soon :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts