Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have spent the past days reading through the different threads on the forum, and it made me realize something.

Edward, the rat that has been with me for 6 months now has never dropped a raisin or peed outside his cage. He doesn't chew on anything, I have him running around on my desk with cords, he never touches them or tries to chew on anything else. And I watch him. I also have him walking around on the floor, nothing. He has also never bitten me, even with food on my finger.

I have had Giacomo for 5 days now, and he seems to be the same way. The first 2 days he nibbled on my fingers, I got rid of that. He runs around my desk all the time as well, like right now, and has yet to pee or drop a raisin, knock on wood. He tries to nibble at stuff, but I stop him right away and it gets less and less.

I use something called Maisstreu or Corncobs which is says on the package, at the bottom of the cage and now fleece or other bedding. But it's only at the bottom.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You're lucky! Edgar, my middle ratty, doesn't do it either! Addo will do it wherever and whenever, but both my youngest also litter trained themselves basically!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yay for sweet ratties! My girls so far have all been pretty good, too...at least for me. One of them likes to keep to herself, and one likes to bite my girlfriend. Heh. ^_^;

I just want to say one thing, though - corn cob bedding generally isn't good for small animals because they tend to like to eat it (rats probably not so much, but other rodents and rabbits go nuts over it), and if they eat too much it will cause blockage. It also molds pretty quickly when wet, so it needs to be changed pretty often. I also think it's probably a little uncomfortable for their feet. =P

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip about Corn cobs. Neither Edward or Giacomo has taken an interest in eating it.

I'm getting a new and bigger cage next week and I was thinking about trying to get them to use a litter box. I have fleece everywhere else.

Edward is now 9 months and Giacomo is 10 weeks. Is it too late?

·
Registered
124 Posts
one of my rats is so funny. she wont poo outside her cage ever when im supervising but she continuously goes on the floor when my parents come see her or my husband is supervising. my husband says i must scare her.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Heh, it's probably the other way 'round.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Lucky! My rat Templeton has never peed or "dropped a raisin" on ME. Now, putting him on my desk or on the floor that is another story......

he gets scared becasue he is young to, I think thats part of it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts