Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new rat owner here. Just got a couple of 5-month-old girls last Monday (Billie and Lola).

I live in Asia where rats aren't common as pets. As a result, it's extremely difficult to find good quality lab blocks for them. I looked into having them shipped from overseas but it was incredibly expensive - practically twice the price of the lab blocks themselves!

I managed to find a lab block called Prolab RMH 2000. It looked promising to my untrained eye. I feed it to them along with a homemade grain mix. The girls like it. Unfortunately, the fat levels are rather high. Is there anyway I can change their diet to include the lab blocks while keeping their fat levels down?

Alternatively, I actually managed to find high quality dog food for them. Unfortunately, they do not seem to like it. Is there any way I can get them to eat it? I bought 4 lb of it and it's an awful waste if I can't get them to eat it.

The homemade mix consists mostly of organic puffed grains (buckwheat, millet, rice, wheat) and rolled oats. They also get roasted soybeans, dried banana chips, and dry pasta as treats.

Thank you for reading. I've also posted this in other forums, hoping to get answers soon. All advice is welcome!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Im not sure about the fat levels but for healthy rats that protein is too high. It can lead to issues such as kidney failure in males and tumors in girls. If you can find Harlan Teklab its one of the best rated along with Oxbow and I believe Mazuri is the 3rd on the list.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I truly haven't been able to find any lab blocks here. I did manage to find Mazuri but it costs an awful lot and I have to get it in large quantities (I have to order it through a vet). It's about $100 for 25 lb. Since they didn't like the Solid Gold dog food, I'm worried that they won't like the Mazuri and it'll be a terrible waste. I only know of 3 people in my country with rats. One of whom was their previous owner.

Is there any way I can change their diet to include the Prolab blocks while reducing their protein/fat levels?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts