Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ok well im just trying to get a better idea of what to feed my rats when i get some :D. Ive heard you can feed them dog food and other stuff but what stuff that you can get at the pet store? can it be small animal food? And how much do you feed them a day?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry to post again but just what stuff at the pet store that i dont have to mix myself

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Rats have specific nutrional and dietary needs, so they can't be fed generic small animal food (no animal should be fed that - every type of animal has different needs, there's no catchall food). You might find Mazuri lab blocks with low protein (I've never fed this, but heard some Mazuri has 23% protein which is too high, but some has I think 16% which is okay). There's a post not far down about Oxbow Regal Rat which some people have seen in stores, which would be good if you can find it. Other than that, you're not going to find anything suitable in a store. If you can order online, get Harlan Teklad lab blocks. If you can't do that, and can't find Mazuri or Regal Rat in the store, you'll have to feed a good quality, low-protein dog food with Suebee's mix.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If you can, you should opt to buy Oxbow's Regal Rat. I've never seen it in local stores, so I purchase it online at Oxbow's website. Along with that, supplementing with Suebee's Mix would be good also.

·
Registered
549 Posts
There is a four page sticky at the top of the page on rat diet, not to mention 10,000 other topics, please read them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts