Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize, of course, that different rats have different personalities, but I just think it's too funny how unique each of my fellas are!
Wink is by far my little love bug. He enjoys exploring during free time and seeing what thr others are uo to, but he would much rather spend the majority of his time sittinf in my lap or pocket getting scritches. He's the most relaxed as well, not minding being picked up/lifted. He's also the forceful groomer of the bunch and dominant. For being the sweetest natured, he certainly knows how to force the others into their daily baths and groomings.
Chips is the little spazz of the bunch. There's so many new, exciting things to explore, he simply won't be content without exploring as many as he can, as quickly as he can. Occasional sit and scritchesm lover, but only after all exploring had been finished.
Chewy is the newest, and still adjusting to being handled. He'd not afraid of me whatsoever, but doesn't enjoy being lifted, and would prefer his cuddles given from thr safety of his pillow fort, where I'm welcomed to reach in and scritches his ears and belly. He's also a bit mouthy and thinks is his sole duty to nibble every little surface available to him, including your toes if you're not watching. Also, lover of peas. Always peas.

What about you?! Do your little fuzz is have totally independent personalities and quirks?

·
Registered
151 Posts
mine sound a lot like yours. a peaceful cuddle bug, a bold adventure girl and a skittish newcomer who we don't know too well yet. honestly i see a greater variance in their personality than with dogs, i think they're very cool little animals. if you google what the smartest animals are, rats are on the top 10 with animals like orcas and dolphins and dogs don't even make the list. not that we should place worth or value on intelligence, it's just incredible to bear witness to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My newest fella is also the one who is still learning to accept snuggles and being lifted. Hopefully they adjust quickly!
I think it's so funny, but when I give him sweet snap peas, he will only eat the inner peas. He seems to regard the rest of it with disgust. Once he's eaten them all, he gives it while and then walks back to them, almost like he's checking to see if they've grown more peas for him hah!

·
Registered
672 Posts
My mischief loves freeze dried peas. They are called just peas. I think you can order online, Google just peas, not sure of the actual website. They also have other veggies and fruit. They are kinda spendy so I save as a treat. If you have a Fresh Market near yo, they sell them there. Nom nom

·
Registered
151 Posts
Rats shell everything they eat, i've noticed, even beans and chickpeas. very efficient bodies and efficient little poops.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also funny how he will only accept his cuddles (at this point) from within his pillow fort or blanket hole. Whereas Wink hardly ever leaves my lap. :) You've got to love their individuality.

·
Registered
452 Posts
All my rats (4 boys) LOVE peas as well! I buy frozen bags of peas and thaw them in boiled water. On hot days I give the peas still frozen and its funny watching them drop the peas from time to time to shake and lick their paws because they get so cold holding the peas hahaha
Initially they'll eat the insides of the peas and leave the shells, but they always go back to eat up the shells as well. Just cant get enough :D

Chamois and Wolf are very food motivated so it isnt too hard to train them :)
But Wolf sometimes doesnt 'want' to do a trick.. I swear hes smart enough to understand, but he just doesnt seem to understand WHY he has to do a trick for a treat haha he's a bit of a rebel. When I wont give him a treat until he does the trick, he seems to get annoyed and runs away. That makes me feel bad and just give him one anyways haha

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 6 boys are all very different, yet they're also very similar in some ways. For example, they all love food, especially babyfood, chicken/turkey (meat and bones), broccoli, apple, banana, peanut butter and peas. They only eat the insides of the peas too, though once they're done I've noticed they'll hoover up the shells XD

Badger, my biggest male, is my little sweetie and alpha. He's by far the easiest to handle and will usually just let me scoop him up when he's outside the cage - which is great simply because he's quite the adventurer and will often try to climb out of the playpen, so I need to be able to grab him quickly! He also frequently likes to scale the Aventura cage, climbing from bottom to top from the outside. I don't approve of it as he's also very clumsy but so far he's not hurt himself. Yet.

Teddy is my second biggest fuzzbutt, and is the friendliest of my boys. At playtime he'll bounce around, jumping on my legs and quickly scaling my arms and back so he can sit and snuggle for a few moments on my shoulder. Again, he's a bit easier to catch because like Badger he's always looking to get out and explore. He's almost always the one to initiate a playfight. He can be very rough sometimes but I don't think he necessarily means to be.

Jojo is my chicken. He's the one who I get the least interaction with. He is friendly and will happily accept food from me, but he strongly dislikes any other physical contact and will always run away. He's one of my greediest boys - in fact, last night when everyone came out to play I wondered where he'd disappeared to and I found him perched on the edge of the food bowl gorging himself on a chunk of cantaloupe and some block! Jojo also seems to be one of Teddy's best friends since I almost always see them snuggled up in the hammock together, something no-one else will do.

Earl, though not quite as affectionate as Teddy, is a pretty friendly boy and as of recently has begun to get better with his handling. He's started to follow Badger and Earl on their escape missions but usually gets sidetracked if he spots a seed on the floor. Before he used to shriek and scatter as soon as he realised I was trying to scoop him up though he's now much more relaxed.

Busby is very much like Earl in that he used to shriek whenever I tried to handle him. Now he just squeaks a bit in protest... I say protest because he's the worst and most determined of my explorers. As soon as I catch him up and plop him down he immediately makes a break for it again... I swear it's all just a game for him sometimes.

Harvey is quite possibly the absolutely sweetest little baby in my entire mischief and much smaller than the others. He's very green, often jumping at the slightest noise or whenever he sees something moving too quickly. Yet at the same time he loves contact with me... well, he loves it when I talk to him and offer food and the such-like. He seems like the most submissive of my boys and usually sleeps on his own... I don't know whether it's because they don't want to talk to him or if he just prefers his own space. He's also partly learned his name, which I think came about because I need to occasionally medicate him. If he hears me calling he comes running. He also prefers not to be in the open unless he's surrounded by the other boys... but if the boys are mobbing around a bowl of goodies, rice or babyfood then he'll duck for cover and end up missing out, so I usually have to hand feed him any treats. I think competing against 5 bigger, greedier rats gets to be too much for him sometimes. Harvey will sometimes grab my fingers and give little kisses too, which is incredibly sweet I think.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aww, your boys sound so sweet!
It'd morning cuddle time, and as I'm laying here with the three of them, Wink and Chewy have decided that my earrings are the most absurd things they've ever seen, and are doing their best to remove them. "Don't worry mom, we've got this." What helpful little fellas!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts