Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed in looking at my Rats their heads are relly different. One has a long narrow head with a long muzzle,Like the shape of a pit-bull head. And the other is an Agouti with a short muzzle and a wide triangle, spade shaped head, their heads are totally different.
Has anybody else noticed a difference in their Rats?
Spider

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I disagree..and agree. Humans have the numerous shapes and features which suggest different "Breeds" or evolutions. The no-neck round headed barrel bodies were probably an interbred clan at one time. Theother common shapes the same. The two seperate shapes of Rat heads seem to be quite distinct; the long narrow muzzel and the spade-shape or triangle head, these two seem to have a common universality which leads me to believe there were two different Rat lines that interbred at one time.
Its all fascinating, isn't that why we like having Rats, as we watch and study their tiny lives before us we learn a little more about where we all came from. And seeing our commonality and desire to live and love we find places in each others hearts.
Spider

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
what jaw bone could they possibly be missing? there's only the mandible itself and the skull...

there has been *some* speculation that they have a smaller jaw in general, but it hasn't been proven.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats an amazing link, and from what I could gleam the Dumbo Rat could be a mutation like a mongoloid child is, except the syndromes shown don't affect inteligence of the rat. But the syndromes can effect the heart, genitourinary aspects of health.
Has anyone ever compared the health problems and their occurances of the 2 Rats( the Standard and the Dumbo) to see whether one has a proclivity towards any illnesses?
Spider

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know the more I think about it there seems to be slight differences between the two. I have often thought my Dumbo to be slightly retarded, with his strange passivity. I'm wondering if in breeding the Dumbo something is lost the way they took an intelligent alert animal the English setter, and bred it for red coloring the Irish setter a good natured but somewhat limited mentally.
Spider

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've got a mixture of dumbos and standards, and I have noticed no significant behavioral differences between the two. The dumbos have done just as many very intelligent things (like figuring out how to open latches, putting their hand on the water bottle ball to make it flow continuously, learning to run simultaneously on the wheel, learning their come command very quickly, etc.).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't mean intelligence specifically in all Dumbo Rats, my Dumbo I believe is slightly retarded because his mother laid on his head for some time limiting his oxygen. But if you look in the info sections of Rat websites the always describe Dumbos as "Docile". Why is this? Was something lost in breeding? or as the link suggests maybe they're looks are a result of difficulties in birth creating the different shape head.
Spider

1 - 12 of 12 Posts