Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...my girl Scout recently had a litter, and two of the boys ended up with very neat patterns on their bellies, and one even had a blaze. I had never seen the patterns before, and when I was looking at pics of rats I stumbled upon a berkshire, and sure enough that's what they are. Or so I thought... :) Now I have read that there are different types of berks, like vari-berks, european berks, etc...I have tried to look it up, but like I said, the way I even found a "regular" berk was by accident...so I thought someone here might be able to tell me. I will show you some pictures of Ash, the black berkshire (the other one has a blaze and is beige/white).

His right side:

His left side:

His tummy:

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I would consider that rat a variberk.

Essentially a variberk is a berkshire with varied sides.

The blaze (on the face, I'd assume) is an extra marking, so blazed berkshire or blazed variberk. :)

Then there's Irish Markings and Zipper Berkshire and all that other ball of wax... :lol:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LoL, well Forensic, you have cleared up my confusion about Ash, but now I am confused about Maggie, a female...I thought she was an Irish (there are Irish berks??) but now, not so sure...here is Maggie:

This is a picture of her belly (sorry about the blur; she is a female, hence, always on the go...):

And a top/side view: as you can see, she has white front and back feet, a white-tipped tail, and her stomach markings do not extend up her sides.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Suki is gorgeous! Her coat is so satiny and shiny. Yes, I guess she would be a variberk, because she looks a lot like Ash...I don't know if the white tip on the tail would change that or not, lol, the whole markings/color thing can get very confusing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Suki and I thank you for the compliment :D
Tell me about it, I was so confused the first time someone referred to Asia as "that husky rat of yours" ah well, you learn it all in drips and drabs I suppose! I just pick my rats on temprement (and cuteness :D )

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that's a way better system. :) It's kind of like dogs, some of the best are just "mutts." But that husky color is crazy, I hadn't seen it till I joined this forum and they're so cool...I've never seen one in "person."

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think an Irish marking is just a white spot on the chest, and berkshire is white all over the tummy. So Maggie would be a berkshire, not an Irish.

I am by no means an expert though, I haven't really looked into the differences - I didn't even know there were different types of berks other than regular berkshire and variberk XD

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Variberk's white kinda 'spills' up the sides, so I suppose we'd need a side picture of Suki to tell?

And I think Berkshire markings have to touch the legs...

All the tummy markings are so confusing to me. :lol: The issue is that unless you have a show quality rat, none of the markings conform to the ideal. So, they're all mismarked or 'vari' or whathave you.

So... call them what you'd like! :lol:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I am thinking, too...all this time I thought she was an Irish based on a not-very-thorough description I read online, but you're right, to be an Irish, the rat has to only have a spot on the chest...lol, which leads to the next question. Here's Luna, would she be an Irish? She doesn't have a white-tipped tail, and only the tips of her feet are white...lol, I think she is just a "Luna," one and only.

her chest - she was (of course) squirming

her front feet (the back feet are exactly the same)

·
Registered
549 Posts
kinda on topic, where is the line between a really mismarked hoodie and a veriberk? I always assumed my little Brisby was a sloppy hooded, looking at some of these pics I'm not too sure any more.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Hehehe, those are the only standards we have. But it gives you an idea. If you check out some of the showing standards they will tell you what is considered a fault or will disqualify a rat from that marking.

Our kiddos are in the wonderful world of Mismarked, LOL

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
glindella said:
kinda on topic, where is the line between a really mismarked hoodie and a veriberk? I always assumed my little Brisby was a sloppy hooded, looking at some of these pics I'm not too sure any more.
Um, gosh, that could be a gray area... I suppose black on the legs would lean me more towards variberk.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts