Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I would like to make a dig box for my boys. They almost 4 months old. I came across this web page, but I'm not sure what bird seeds to use (there are so many)...

Is there anything else I can plant for them that's safe if they chew/eat it? Wheatgrass maybe? Something that won't take forever to grow either?

And, as for the soil, no chemicals, fertilizers or bugs? Is normal pot plant soil safe? Thanks!

http://theratretreat.org/2013/03/28/rat-digging-box/

·
Registered
953 Posts
As long as their is no fertilizer or pest killer in the soil you buy it's fine. Wheat grass is great, it grows really really fast and the rats tend to eat quite a bit of it (at least mine do) and it's very good for them. win win situation.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as their is no fertilizer or pest killer in the soil you buy it's fine. Wheat grass is great, it grows really really fast and the rats tend to eat quite a bit of it (at least mine do) and it's very good for them. win win situation.
Thanks Mimsy. I'm more worried about the soil as I've noticed that they don't stipulate much info on 'ingredients' on the packaging. I'll spend abit more time at the plant park and ask the manager as well.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I use ZooMed reptile bedding. It's made of coconut fiber and it's perfectly safe for rats.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I got mine at PetCo in the reptile section.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done some checking, we don't have ZooMed bedding in SA. We've only got corn cob bedding. I'll pop into the plant market over the weekend and see what acceptable soil is out there. Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Akarah, I went to Stodels and near the till they had a special potting soil that was made from coconut fibre. The package was about the size of a fat notebook. You just have to add water and it turns into a big bag of regular potting soil. I have used it for my wheatgrass trays for the rats, and they love it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts