Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about making a dig box for when my rats free roam? I do use a bottom of a old cage inside their cage with paper bedding and I hide some of their food in. Anyways I'm just curious and wondering about other ideas. Any?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I use a plastic tub with coco coir. They love it, even though it can be messy. The first pic shows the tub with a white lid, I cut a hole in to help keep them from flinging it everywhere. I also have a cardboard box with grass or hay (organic without pesticides of course) They like to burrow down and make a nest.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about the plastic tub with a lid. I used to have a box with an old comforter in it and they absolutely loved it...ruined the comforter but still. Im just in a smaller space now so I am wanting to get them another little spot to enjoy rather then my bottom drawer lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coco coir is that the stuff you add water too and it swells? It is usually used for some reptiles and hermit crabs?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll keep that in mind thanks. I am debating on getting a 3 drawer organizer thing. Ya know the plastic ones that they can get on thru the back...like they do mine lol and put different stuff and each of them something they can just destroy

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Coco coir is that the stuff you add water too and it swells? It is usually used for some reptiles and hermit crabs?
yes, same stuff as for reptiles. I think your idea of using 3 drawers with different medium is a great idea!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yah I think that is what I'm going to do it will also still be covered so that should prevent some mess lol but at the same time I have easy access to it if I need to get them or clean it add treats etc. I have 3 at all different stages and I live in a studio and so they free roam..when they are not in their cage which is a critter nation. I have done alot of rat proofing but they can still get into some of my stuff. Im hoping they may spend more time in there. Of course I know they will still need supervised at all times lol. Rats I just love them lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts