Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My co-worker gave me some really good dog food that he can't use since his dog is picky and whatnot. Anyways, it's an all organic brand and I'd like to use it. Currently, my mix is at a 10% protein ratio, but that is for when the dog food is 18% crude protein. This brand, Lotus, is at 24%. I'm thinking to dilute it more in the mix. I also have some Oxbow Regal Rat pellets in the mix to cover anything that I miss with the grains, seeds, fruits, and veggies. Currently, I have it planned out to be diluted to ~7-8% protein in the mix. Should I dilute the protein further?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I should increase the amount of protein in the mix even though it's so high in the dog food?

Currently, this is my mix:

Base Mix
3 hulled millet 50.00% 50-60%
3 rye berries
3 pearled barley
3 hulless barley
3 quinoa
4 whole oat groats
4 chia seeds
3 amaranth grain
3 raw buckwheat groats
3 wild rice
3 brown rice

Processed Grains
3 whole wheat pasta 20.00% 20-25%
3 tri-colored pasta
4 Arrowhead puffed wheat cereal
4 Arrowhead puffed kamut

Lab Block
5 Oxbow 7.14%

Protein
8 Lotus (24% crude protein) 11.43% 12-14%

Seeds
1.5 raw hulled pumpkin seed/linseed/hemp seed 5.00% 5%
1 golden flax seed
1 brown flax seed

Herbs and Vegetables
2 Dark Greens 6.43% 5-10%
1 Colorful Veggies
1 Other Veggies
0.5 Fruits

Total 70

I have 5 females currently. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. The protein is lower than 12% since the Oxbow Regal Rat pellets are still available and have protein in there as well.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Ahhh your mixing by volume. The 12 to 14% is relevant to by weight. The oxbow is kind of protien neutral in thete because it's what your aiming for. i would use about 5 to 10% by volume of the dog food in your mix. towards the 5% if you have old ladies in the group and higher if you have youngsters. If there coat starts getting a bit rough you can up it

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have 4 4 month olds and a 3 month old, approximate ages... I made some adjustments in regards to the protein. The mix is now:

Base Mix
3 hulled millet 52.24% 50-60%
3 rye berries
3 pearled barley
3 hulless barley
3 quinoa
4 whole oat groats
4 chia seeds
3 amaranth grain
3 raw buckwheat groats
3 wild rice
3 brown rice

Processed Grains
3 whole wheat pasta 20.90% 20-25%
3 tri-colored pasta
4 Arrowhead puffed wheat cereal
4 Arrowhead puffed kamut

Lab Block
5 Oxbow 7.46%

Protein
5 Lotus 7.46% 5-10%

Seeds
1.5 raw hulled pumpkin seed/linseed/hemp seed 5.22% 5%
1 golden flax seed
1 brown flax seed

Herbs and Vegetables
2 Dark Greens 6.72% 5-10%
1 Colorful Veggies
1 Other Veggies
0.5 Fruits

Total 67

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
That looks good. i would give them bones once a week out two and try and find a vitamin d suppliment (they do vit d extracted cod live oil here and vit d drops in the states). I'd also give liver about every fortnight to help with the copper.

That does look a lovely varied mix

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If yours eat dehydrated mushroom thats brill, mine hated the stuff lol. Dried liver can also work, you can also get liver treats for cats and dogs, or i regularly make liver busicuits which i freeze a batch of and then give them one every couple of days. I also add other vitamins to that regularly too.

The bones are a very palitable form of calcium, most rats love gnawring them, if they've got marrow in too that is full of other useful bits and bobs. You have tow atch the amount of bones more with oldies but for babies and youngsters they are a really good healthy treat.

In terms of vitamin D, if i lived in the US i would use something like this http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Vitami...UTF8&qid=1415883320&sr=1-9&keywords=vitamin+d and feed probably 1 drop per rat around twice a week. Or two drops once a week. In theory you could back this into liver busicuits too, though bear in mind that a good amount will be destroyed by cooking so tripple the amount to be safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.