Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well as u may or may not know i am a smoker yes i no its bad for me n its a terrible habbit, and i always smoke outside but as its now summer i am begining to take the boys outside with me, at the mo ive never smoked around the boys but if i did would it affect their health? im guessing it might but im not sure so i thought i would ask on here first incase it would make them seriuoly ill. plz reply asap as i want to go for a walk and take my boys with me but i dont want to risk their health!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Rats have very sensitive lungs, smoking around them is deadly and dangerous. I would HIGHLY advice against it if you want them to keep them healthy and happy. Also cigarette smoke contains cancer causing agents which I would imagine to a rat that alreay is prone to cancer is NOT a good thing >_>

·
Registered
212 Posts
Cigarettes and cigarette smoke from passive smoking isn't good for anybody, least of all rats. I'd put money on it affecting them in a big way if you smoked near them.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
yeah, i would definitely not have them where they can smell the cigarette smoke (smell = getting some of the smoke anyway). if you want to walk them, see if you can get them to walk on a harness and keep them at your feet and upwind while you walk.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
even getting the smoke on your shirt and then holding them is not a good idea (i ama smoker as well) i always change shirts when i get back inside and hold the boys. Also if i take them outside with me i never smoke around them. I am so afraid of respitory problems (my hubby calls me a rat hypochondraic because every sneeze and i am freakingout calling the vet on speed dial) smoking can cause HUGE issues with ratties lungs so i never get it anywhere around them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
rats are sensitive, i treat them much as i would my bird... who is also very sensitive. No candles and/or smoke of any kind around them, change the shirt after smoking. and please please wash your hands before handling them... I know with birds, the nicotine can cause their feet to itch and make them extremely uncomfortable and im assuming rats may have the same problem.... i hope this helps

·
Registered
981 Posts
Though I doubt any of us have any real scientific experience on the effects of cigarrette smoke on rats (Though a quick google search found lots of studies on it), I get nervous when a friend of mine is smoking out a window in another room. I think a rat's lungs are too sensitive to take chances.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You also shouldn't handle them until you wash your hands. Just the residue on your hands and fingers and cause problems. Some can actually become addicted to the nicotine just form licking your fingers. Not to mention all that is in your hair and your clothes.

It would be best really if you quit smoking. For them and you. But until then, you should probably wash your hands and change clothes before handling them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts