Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Yesterday we spotted that Ian had a slightly red and crusty nose, we have left it to see if it was a one day sort of thing or whether it's food that he has just had on his nose and hasn't cleaned it off yet.
However, that's not the case and he still seems to have a red and crusty nose. As you can see from the pictures (it may be worse in the pictures as we have to just got him out of the bath.)

Does anyone know what this could be?

Just this second my other half has come in and said that Ian has cleaned it off and we can see that his nose is quite snotty, is this just a cold or sniffly nose?

unnamed.jpg unnamed (1).jpg

·
Registered
604 Posts
It's actually what's called porphyrin. It's secreted from the eyes and nose of our little babies. The first time I saw it on my girl I thought she had a nose bleed! It's a natural secretion but sometimes excess production can be a sign of a respiratory infection flare up. If you notice that Ian's nose appears snotty then he might be coming down with something and he may need to go to the vet to get some antibiotics. Other signs include excess sneezing and wheezing, or he may seem to be more cuddly or lethargic than usual if he is a playful one.

My boy actually has a flare up right now and he is on Baytril, one dose morning and night. It's nothing too serious to worry about as long as he's on medication to help it clear up faster.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts