Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't THINK this is anything to worry about, but I just thought I would run it by you to see if you have any input.

Ivy, my sweet little fatun who is not yet 1, over the last few days has seemed to acquire an oddly discoloured ear.

It doesn't feel scabby (I thought it might be the start of mange - as one of my rats has it) so I've ruled that out. It doesn't feel anything different to normal in texture/temperature.

It can't be rubbed off - I tried to clean it, in the hopes she had found herself some trouble and got caught red eared - but no luck.

She's not worrying at it, and her behaviour is normal.

She has however, begun losing hair at the top of her legs beneath her chin/neck - but I think that is Max overgrooming her (I caught Max at it yesterday). Regardless though, they all have Xenex to be treated with on next clean-out day, so mites will shortly be ruled out.

I think it MAY be a bruise - but so far it's not been following bruising patterns and has been spreading but over the days I have been monitoring it, doesn't appear to be changing in colour (as you would expect bruising to do)

Any ideas?

And because she was fed up of me photographing the back of her head, here's a front shot - cheeky isn't she?

Thanks guys, and Happy New Years!

·
Registered
261 Posts
she was probably born with it. as you might know, rats and their ears come in different sizes and colors ;)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's almost 1 year old - and it's been a recent occurance. She's not had it prior to the last week or so.

I think I've come to the conclusion that it's probabl bruising or Max's overgrooming.

·
Registered
261 Posts
well... that's different. if she wasn't born like that, how did she get it?

she could have broken a blood vesel in her ear which made it look like that. that is very unusual for her ear to be like that. i don't recemend taking her to the vet just yet. let me see if i can find some links

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bleeding from Nose, Ear or Mouth

Bleeding from inside the nose or ear is most commonly caused by an infection, which can erode away the tissue, opening a blood vessel. The size and number of the vessels determines the amount of bleeding. Nasal infections are difficult to treat and require aggressive antibiotic therapy. For bleeding from the nose, you can try holding ice to the bridge of the nose. You can also give your rat ice cream or a popsicle to eat, and hopefully the cold will penetrate the nose and help.

Bleeding from inside the mouth can also be difficult to deal with since it’s so hard to see where the blood may be coming from. It’s possible for a rat to accidently bite his tongue, and bleeding can also occur from a mouth tumor or from an injury to or tumor in the throat. Giving your rat ice cream or a popsicle may help stop the bleeding.

For bleeding from an ear, try putting pressure and/or ice against the base of the ear. Infection or cancer are the most common causes of bleeding from inside the ear, but occasionally a rat will accidently puncture his eardrum while cleaning his ear with his toenails.

If you cannot stop the bleeding after trying all these methods, you will need to take your rat to the vet where he can anesthetized for more effective procedures, such as suturing. There is also a product called Gel Foam which is a protein that becomes very sticky on contact with blood which may be able to stop bleeding from an injury. Your vet can also give a rat an injection of vitamin K to help blood clotting.

i copied this information from: http://www.ratfanclub.org/firstaid.html

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that info - but I'm not sure if that's it. There's no 'bleeding' as such, no swelling inside the ear to indicate it may be bleeding within the skin. I had a closer look tonight and it seems to have darkened, so it might be bruising after all.

It's quite funny though, because from the back of her head you can see it, but from the front you can't. o_O

·
Registered
261 Posts
it could be earwax. *scrolls up to look at picture again*
i think its developing on the back of the other ear too, or is that just my eyes. i would say try rubing a drop of alcohol but you probably wouldn't take any chances. i think you may be right about the bruise. or could it be permanent marker or dye?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not marker or dye - we have nothing that colour in the house. She's only been playing in the bathroom too - so there's nothing around for her to get into to mark her.

The other ear is normal. It's not your eyes, it's just her fur colouring the tip. That's what her ears usually look like o_O

Edit - I've just checked and both ears (inside) are wax free, also

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I wonder if it is Rusting? My rat Jackson "rusted" but only on his hind end. Is the coloration on the skin or is it on the little furs on the ear?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts