Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My rats' favorite foods include corn on the cob and peas, and I'm pretty sure every rat agrees.Today I found freeze dried peas and freeze dried corn, and my rats are nuts about them! They'd rather have those than yogies even. They're more exciting than the non-dehydrated ones because they're crunchy. The only ingredients are peas and corn. I found them at a health food grocery store and there were many varieties. They can be ordered online too. This is groundbreaking for me!

http://www.justtomatoes.com/jtstore/pc/Organic-Just-Peas-p116.htm

http://www.justtomatoes.com/jtstore/pc/Organic-Just-Corn-p110.htm

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would suggest that with the freeze dried peas, you are making sure they are not the Wasabi flavored ones. Have seen them in the store and almost got them for myself. Wasabi pretty hot.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I wonder if rats would like spicy. They obviously prefer tasty food to those lab blocks (at least mine do). I pondered this last night as I had my medium-spicy lamb saag.

But even if they enjoy spicy food, I shudder to think what that may do to their delicate systems. The cage gets messy enough as it is. I don't want to add that to the mess.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if rats would like spicy. They obviously prefer tasty food to those lab blocks (at least mine do). I pondered this last night as I had my medium-spicy lamb saag. But even if they enjoy spicy food, I shudder to think what that may do to their delicate systems. The cage gets messy enough as it is. I don't want to add that to the mess.
Peppers are spicy to discourage animals from eating them, since the spiciness is unpleasant to normal animals. I personally love spicy things, but my rats never get anything spicy from me. I'm pretty sure they'd hate it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I've put their pea's in my mix and my rats love them.

Anything spicy is groddy to my rats. Even if it's only mildly spicey.

Now my parrot loves hot peppers, the hotter the better. Sometimes her kisses can be painful..just from pepper juice. If I switch pellets on her I can always get her to try them if I sprinkle cayenne pepper on them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've put their pea's in my mix and my rats love them. Anything spicy is groddy to my rats. Even if it's only mildly spicey. Now my parrot loves hot peppers, the hotter the better. Sometimes her kisses can be painful..just from pepper juice. If I switch pellets on her I can always get her to try them if I sprinkle cayenne pepper on them.
Parrots are strange people.I live with a yellow-naped Amazon who's in her late thirties and my grandmother told me once that she used to be the same way, spicy kisses and all. Now that she's older, she's not super interested in the peppers. She loves the freeze-dried peas though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts