Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,I have some acquaintances who, try as I may, can not be convinced that Rats pose little to no risk to us disease wise. Several rat breeders have told me that rats are susceptible to several human virus, including pneumonia and strep bacteria. And they told me that all rats are born with Myco but this infection can not infect humans. My acquaintances insist that Rats carry multiple disease that humans can contract from them. Plague was mentioned, now I KNOW that plague was caused by the Oriental Rat Flea that hopped aboard rats in the 1300s, the rat itself did not infect humans, the Flea did, in fact the Oriental Rat Flea most likely hopped aboard other animals including our dogs, cats, livestock and even humans themself.After doing some research and talking to breeders and vets, so far the only transmittable disease I've seen tied to rats is Plague. And again rats themselves didn't transmit it, fleas did. Our vet said rats can not transmit worms to us, but dogs, cats, birds and reptiles can. He also said Rats do not need vaccinated and that they do not get rabies. For all intensive purposes he told me rats have the lowest risk of transmitting disease to us amongst our species of pets. Now, wild rats, that's a subject I've found little on. I know wild rats are outdoors amongst more pathogens, dirt and contaminates. Can someone please share with me all the disease rats both wild and domestic can transmit to humans, if there are any that is. Really want to shut up my acquaintances by giving them more TRUE facts to go on

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/diseases/direct.html

Gives a list of diseases, the species that can carry them, the places they're found and links to the diseases. Honestly, you're probably more likely to get sick from going out to eat at a restaurant or touching anything in a public restroom than you are from handling rats. All I can say is wash your hands and don't eat poop. If you have a fever, go to the doctor. If you go to the doctor, tell them you keep rats.....Oh, and don't play with dead things.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
What kksrats said ↑

1 - 3 of 3 Posts