Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself and my girlfriend went to one of my local Pets At Home and as usual we - well I looked at the rats. I looked in the tank and saw that they only had males, and quiet a few of them to.
So we had a wonder round the shop, then I went back to the rats (again, hehe). Some of the others had their bums hanging out of the tube and I noticed they had NO testicals. I thought I was seeing things! I double checked and realised that there was about 5 - 6 girls in the tank with ONE MALE!

I just couldn't believe it, they are usually very good there (Altho I did buy Dotty pregnant, without knowing). So I said to my girlfriend that I'm going to complain/tell some one...she didn't agree and said to leave it as it's nothing do with me :roll: But I went and found someone anyway and told them. They reckoned that the rats were sexed THREE times that day (Yeah right! By one of the dimwits that work there) and that sometimes it was hard to tell (The fact that one of the rats had great big balls!?). I stated the fact that I had previously brought a pet rat from there and it was pregnant and that I knew which were boys by week 2 or 3.
So the lad checked them and I asked if they were going to be split up...he said yes. By the time we were about to go, they hadn't done it. I really hope they have now tho, altho many if not all of the girls are probably pregnant :(
I just hope who ever buys them are prepared to look after the little ones.
I really felt like buying a few myself, just so I knew the babies would be well taken care of, but it would've been a silly move really.

I'm just so shocked about it. They really are usually very good.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lots of pet shops are like this- a lot of them see rats as snake food and unimportant, even though they may put up the fascade that they are there to be pets (anything to make a sale) when you're around. This is why I think it may be best to buy from breeders in hopes that less rats will end up in pet shops because of less demand.
However, I know many people still buy from shops as "rescues" because, lets face it, shops will always carry rats as food even if no one ever bought them as pets again.
I had a similar thing happen at a Petsmart, but with mice. My boyfriend noticed one was a boy so I told one of the employees who seemed very distrauight, removed the male immediatly, and felt horrible that many of the girls were now pregnant. He explained that it was a new shipment so the male mouse may have been with the females for the entire shipment. I think the male mouse was just carelessly misplaced, though.
In the future don't be afraid to demand that the male be removed from the cage. Its what they are SUPPOSED to do. If they won't do it, ask to hold/see the male rat and them watch as they return it to the male rat cage.
I've also seen shops that keep the male and femal cages side by side without a barrier except for the cage bars. This is also unacceptable as a male rat can still easily "do the deed" even through cage bars.
Pet shops are just really sad, sometimes. :(

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know many pet shops are terrible for this sort of thing, but the Pets At Home round by me are very good, I've never seen a problem like this with them before until today, that's why I'm so shocked/annoyed.
I guess I should've pushed him to take the male out (The tank next to the one with rats in already was empty, so I don't see why he didn't just pop the boy in there :roll: ...I imagine most of the girls are pregnant now, so I guess it wouldn't make much difference).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts