Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry:

I stopped at petco today to grab another bag of carefresh and some treats for my ratties and of course while I was there, I HAD to look at the rats there. They were so cute (nevermind that their cages were dirty and it was only 10 am - rahhhh!)

They were so adorable though - I was talking to them through the glass and mainly looking like a big freaking dork when I realized that this kid (between 18-22 probably) was standing next to me along with an older woman that I found out was his mother. They were looknig at the ratties too and giggling at my antics through the window, which made me think that they were actually potential buyers.

Now even though I have a permanent case of GGMR fever, I thought I would move over and let the buyers see better. We started chatting and they told me they were there to get a couple of rats for their snake. :?

Mind you, this was AFTER they had seen me dorking out over the rats and AFTER agreeing w/ me of how cute they were, etc. AND, mind you that this was ALSO after we had discussed the very LARGE sign stating that Petco did not advocate the feeding of live animals to snakes and that they reccommended the frozen nutrition that they have available.

These ppl actually picked up this little ratty and played with it claiming how cute it was yadda yadda yadda and all the time were planning on FEEDING it to their snake! Now I hate to be judgmental, but THAT is SICK.
AND they even had the unmitigated temerity to COMPLAIN that their snake had been bitten by a rat before in its 'feeding tank'.

And speaking of unmitigated temerity, they actually got angry with ME for telling the clerk that they were selecting rats for the purpose of feeding their snake. They said I 'embarrassed' them. I told them this:
Listen genius, your first clue should have been that if you are doing something that you cant be honest about AND that brings you shame, then you shouldnt be doing it at all!

Of course, I was the bad guy. I so wanted to buy up all the ratties so they couldnt and briefly considered doing so, but logic kicked in and I realized that #1, i wouldnt be doing the rats any good because Im not prepared or capable to care for about 40 extra rats and #2, the people would have just gone elsewhere to buy them anyway.

Why I have posted this anhd ranted on, I dont know. It doesnt change anything. And I know this happens everyday. It just upset me.

UGH!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
we can certainly share your sentiment though. i had a friend that would feed her snake live rodents and would play and be affecrtionate with what was ultimately going to be food. i don't know how she could feed these rodents (and the babies she bred as food) either. i really thought it was really sick. but i know the snake needed to eat too and at least the rodents were shown some affection before their death instead of just waiting in a grimy tank for the snake to get hungry....

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that is one way to look at it...and its a positive way to look at it too.
It just really offended me the way that they went about it.
But I probably offend skads of people myself.

Still....I just dont understand how someone can be affectionate towards an animal knowing that they are about to send it to its death...a grisly death at that.

·
Registered
798 Posts
i dont know whats worst, someone who has rats as pets yet still feeds live rats to their reptiles, or that :s

·
Registered
798 Posts
no, it wasn't intentionally directed at anyone, please don't take it personally, i just don't know how it can be done, and I'm guessing its not you personally who feeds them to the snakes since you have them as pets. My skin crawls when I think of someone being able to play with their rats and then go into another room to another cage and pluck one out and practically place it on a dinner plate... its crawling now lol.

·
Registered
941 Posts
lol, Sadly though....Thats my job......I do everything from feeding, to cleaning, to giving fresh water.
Except my dad helps sometimes with the Bigger Boas.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't see why there is even a want to feed live animals in domestic situations when they can be trained to accept dead.

·
Registered
236 Posts
JESSU said:
I don't see why there is even a want to feed live animals in domestic situations when they can be trained to accept dead.
Some can be trained. Others, like the picky species, or just the odd one out, cannot and will not take dead food no matter how hard you try. Wild snakes do not eat food they find already dead. It's really unnatural for one to do so. But a pet snake, even with it's instincts, can take dead food. That's just life. I understand it, as I've had snakes myself, some who've taken dead food, others that would not. I was never affectionate with the 2 mice I tried feeding my boa though. That is rather wrong...ultimately, it's why I gave up on snakes.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah, Snakes like Ball Pythons are hard to get to accept pre-killed food.
But RedTailBoas Will Switch easily. It just depends on the species.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah exactly Matt. I've had 3 snakes. First was a corn snake. He was a little piggy and took anything. Then I had a Solomon Island ground boa who started to take dead food then suddenly stopped and refused ALL and any food. Then lastly, was another corn snake. She only took live. So it just depends.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I understand that snaks and such have to eat too, but I have to agree that it was very wrong of them to go about it the way they did...there are A**holes out there, nothing we can do about it. :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
The Petco here has like 6 tanks for rats of different size. The most in one tank is like 6, but it's the baby rat tank. When I see someone buying a rat for their snake I just tell them a lil story about a friend's snake that was bitten by a feeder rat in the mouth. The wound got infected and the snake died. Then I tell them about frozen rats and how you just have to shake them a bit til the snake wraps it up. Plus frozen rats are cheaper than using live ones.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Once you told the Petco employees of their intentions did they still sell them the baby rats even though its not their policy? I am going to guess they did. :(

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
they sure did. I got really snippy and snotty at that point, and left only after I verbally eviscerated the clerk and asst. mgr . Im real good at that unfortunately - its a bad character flaw i guess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You know people are so unaware of how stupid they are. I mean I dont like the idea of feeding meat to other animals but I guess they do have to eat. The frozen meals are so much more humane! The girl I adopted Riley from had roommates that owned snakes. I was like how can you say you love yours rats so much that you could watch them let their pets eat ones like them?! I was so mad I wanted to take home all the rats but of course like I was not prepared either. I wonder what petco that was though because the one by my house apparently still does it because some guy flat out asked for them right in front of me while I was looking at them.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Most people dont know that if you are going to petsmart or petco or whatever that if you ask for feeders the workers will ask you what size. (pinkie, fuzzie, small, medium, large, jumbo, etc...)
Then go in the back and grab some "Regular" rats. (not my words..)
Not the "Fancy" rats that are in the displays.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That is awful!! I didnt know they did that. The person at my petco just picked up the ones out of the little display cages and gave them to the guy when he asked for the feeders. I wanted to beat him over the head and take them away.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts