Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I've been wanting to keep rats as pets for as long as I can remember but never been able to.
Recently my family agreed for me to buy a couple of rats so I am pretty excited. I have done a ton of research for proper rat care and proper housing for my rats.
The problem is that I live en Peru and here I dont have access to the commercially produced rat cages and petstores dont sell cages large enough. :( I've found a manufacturer that does custom cages but he has no experience in rat cages and the ones he makes are not exactly what I am looking for, besides the cages are extremely expensive.
I want my rats to have a ton of space and cages that size would cost me so much more than what I am comfortable spending in housing alone.
That's why I have decided to build my own DIY rat cage. I've already thought about the design I want but then I started thinking about what material I'd like to use. I did my research about DIY rat cages (most of them only have mesh in the front and that doesn't provide enough ventilation in my opinion). I want to make a cage that offers enough ventilation from all sides.

My question is the following
What materials should I use for the structure of the cage? The sides will be metal wire btw
I've thought about wood but I'm afraid the rats would destroy it all. I have also seen people use pvc pipes and attach the mesh wire using zip ties which sounds cool.
Also any other suggestions or tips would me immensely appreciated.

Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've seen people make cages out of wire shelving but I've never looked into it. I've also seen people make cages from bookshelves but I don't know how they deal with the wood chewing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts