Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been window shopping for a new, larger cage for about a month now. I know that a DCN is always a great choice, but space is limited in my room and I know that the cage is pretty heavy so it wouldn't be ideal for a frequent mover such as I am (aka, college student bouncing from apartments). I've seen a lot of really cool, DIY rat cages on Pinterest and other websites but none explain in detail how they created their cages, what materials they used, how they made sure it was safe, etc.

I now am wondering if a plan to find an old bookshelf/dresser would be a good choice and cheaper. Does anyone have personal experience with making a DIY cage that is safe and the rats don't destroy? I mostly am wondering what water (urine) proof paint would be safe to cover the surface of the frame I decide to use.

If anyone has pictures of their homemade cages, feel free to share to feed my indecisive mind! :p

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, but I have looked at that website several times. Unfortunately their links are out of date or they don't explain the cage-making process. I know the general requirements to make a cage and can easily get the tools, I'm just wondering if any other owners on here have DIY cages and could share with me their safe paints and techniques they use to keep their rats from ruining it :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
The big issue with wood is that it's porous and will absorb urine. Any cage made of wood will end up nasty eventually no matter what you do, and the ammonia buildup is bad for your rats. I've heard of people having good luck with bin cages but that depends on how prone to escaping your rats are and how many you have. If you have rats who are determined to get out they will probably eventually figure out a way to escape. Personally I have my rats in a bird cage. It's more vertical than a rodent cage so it's good for floor space and it's not too heavy. My cage will only hold a maximum of five rats though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of getting a laminate book shelf off of IKEA and then covering it with the water-proof paint.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I would just get a critter nation. Sounds like a lot of work and pretty expensive anyway...if it is hard or annoying to keep clean, you won't do it as often and your rats will be more likely to get sick as a result. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Around 5 minutes in I share the same sentiments with her: https://youtu.be/8AxezDqy8Vs?t=4m54s

I don't have personal experience with making my own cage, except for converting a large dog crate into a degus cage.

I suggest looking at the cost of materials and time to make your own cage as opposed to how much a DCN costs.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went wit a DCN instead. Thanks though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts