Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 5 week old rats a week ago but since then, they never go on their many hammocks. they just huddle in a corner and thats where they sleep. I feel like they're uncomfortable there. And i've tried putting treats for going in the hammock, and maving the hammocks to different places, with no results?

Did any of your rat's take time to get used to hammocks? Should i just wait it out, or should i forget hammocks and just attack them with igloo hides?

·
Registered
506 Posts
My boys sleep in the hammocks sometimes, and sometimes they curl up in their basket on on their floor. I suppose they just do whatever suits their moods lol. one of my newer boys wouldn't sleep in the hammock for like two weeks, so if I were you I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 6 week old girls sleep in their hammock but only under the corner flap and never on top in the open. They prefer to sleep in the fleece tunnel - all four crammed together. I hope once they get older they will make themselves a little more visible.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
my girls have a hammock... all they've done is destroy it. they much prefer hanging planter baskets, tissue boxes or igloos. my little boys use their hammock to stash food, and also prefer planter baskets. the big boys, on the other hand, absolutely loooooooooooooooove their hammocks. all five of the big boys have 5 hammocks in their two cages... and here is a pic i took today of sproccy (top) and stumpy (bottom) enjoying their hammocks (excuse the crappy colour of the hammocks... its used to be a pillow case that my evil step-grandmother gave me for a wedding present 22 years ago. i've been looking for an appropriate use for them since then, lol)....

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Rats take time. My girls seemed to take FOREVER! It helps if you cover the hammocks, "canopy" style, that seems to make them more comfortable. Eventually they'll learn to love their hammies and sleep in them covered or no. Just leave them in there, your rats will figure them out sooner or later.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When I gave my rat Yuki a hammock, she never slept in it. The only time she would usually even go onto it was if she thought i had a treat for her and that was the most convenient place to stand. Eventually she chewed through one of the supports so it made a kind of tent in one corner. She made a nest under there that she would sleep in. Once her friend Akira moved in, they ended up chewing the hammock to shreds. I decided that they don't get any more store bought hammocks (too expensive!). Currently, the have several different boxes and an igloo to sleep in...usually the sleep on top of one of the boxes or on the wire floor.

You may as well leave the hammock in there, but if they don't ever use it or just destroy it like mine, I wouldn't suggest wasting money on buying more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just got my 2 girls this saturday and after thoroughly investigating their new home they both were all curled up asleep in their hammock. I think its just a preference.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My rats don't use hammocks at all, but they do sleep in their Wodent Wheel :]

·
Registered
113 Posts
My girls don't use their hammocks and I've had them for two months now. One is hanging like a regular hammock and the other is kinda in a big U. Since Rem loves to sleep in my sleeve I was hoping if I made one hammock resemble the sleeve she'd sleep in it, but no luck so far. Leaf will go into it to get closer to my face when I say hi to them, but other than that, they don't use them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i'll just give it some time, but won't buy any new ones for a while, maybe theyll get used to it once theyre more socialized and able to come out into the open. I bought them a chube and they lovelovelovelovelove it. so ill stick to that for awhile until they destroy their hammocks, then ill probably take them out.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My girl Roxie took about a week to get into her hammocks at all, and although it may have just been because she was pregnant, after about a week (once she had the rittens) she looooved them! Whenever she's not in her little box with the babies nursing or sleepin on top of them, she's in one of her hammocks in the very top of the cage. I think for some it just takes time, or they just may not like that feeling of being out in the open.

But, just a suggestion, if they do end up venturing into them, I would really suggest making your own. It's SOOOO much cheaper, because they'll all eventually have holes chewed in them. Plus, you can make them however you like, and there are some super easy ones to make that have been posted in the Rat Homes section here. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh! today i saw them chase eachother into the hammock then collapse into a heavy sleep.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My girls never actually slept in their hammock. My the do sleep in their lofts--tubes that hang up like hammocks. You can make them out of a pant leg of old sweatpants, for example. Hammocks feel more safe for them if they are hung up high in a corner...mine will go up, but are not too crazy about them.

·
Registered
527 Posts
my girls only started using their tube hammock when i took the cardboard boxes out of their cages.
when i put new boxes in, the hammock was abandoned.
i guess i know which they prefer! :roll:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My girls would not sleep in there home made baby grow hammock what so ever , as far as they were concerd they would rather huddle in the corner so i did the following

leave the home made hammock up but put a lil box with bedding in for them , once they explored there new box bed i left them to it then my mum brought herself some rats and said do u want a hammock so i said yes (free rat stuff :D) and now my girls love there hammock - but i move in or out more beds throughout the week so they dont get bored right now they got a webcam box which already had a hole in the top of the box so u could see the cam on display within 2 minutes all i saw was rat butts sticking out the box lol
Jess x

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Its all a preference but most rats will end up loving hammies.

Some need to be taught how to use them, and I have a method I use for those that don't want to climb into them in the first place. I start with a hammock over the shelf, hung so it sits on the shelf but the sides are slightly raised. Once they are good with this, then i start raising the hammie every few days...once its finally raised like normal and they are loving it, i hang it so its out off of the shelf and they just go with it :) Its the scary feeling of being unsupported at first that scares some of them. With babies that huddle in corners I give pocket hammies or double deckers so they are covered, and boxes/houses if thats what they prefer :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's weird having you guys call hammocks "hammies," because I'm so used to referring to my hamsters as "hammies." X3

Anyway, my girls love hammocks. As soon as I put their new "hammock" (it's actually just an old shirt..) in their new cage they began sleeping in it.

They used to chew them up and not be so crazy about them...I found out why. They need to be somewhat "sturdy" to walk in, and if you don't put any other material (socks, blankets, towels, etc.) IN the hammock, they'll chew up the hammock to make their own fabric scraps to cuddle in. So far there is no visible chewing on the one I've put in there, complete with a heap of old socks and shirt rags.

·
Registered
Widget & Gadget
323 Posts
My boys never liked hammocks, they would step onto them then panic as their feet moved about under them and scurry off. Mind you, they were never very adventurous full stop, so I'm not surprised. My girls like to sleep in a cargo net that hangs like a hammock, I may just branch out and make them something a bit more pouch-like...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts