Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I heard from a friend that rats do get their periods but I also just googled it and apparently they don't? I'm worried about Tilly. She's been having a little bit of vaginal bleeding for about 3 days now. Just like a drop at a time. She also seems to be breathing just a little differently. They are small changes but I know things can go south fast if it's important and I ignore it. I have some Amoxicillin and Doxycycline that I can mix for her but I don't know what is appropriate. She's not spayed and she's about 1 year and 9 months old. Help?

She also is walking kinda funny on her back legs. she's like separating them.

·
Registered
955 Posts
She needs to get to a vet ASAP. There have been previous posts about this kind of thing and it seems vaginal bleeding in a rat can sometimes be very serious and life threatening. Sooner you can get her to a vet the better x

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If its from her vagina it will most likley be pyometra, this is an infection of the womb and can make the rat sick very quickly. For now put her on amoxycillin (ideally with baytril but if not on its own is fine) and get her into the vet asap. The best option would be to have her spayed, this removes the problem and also prevents other womb issues (it could be something other than pyo which could still be nasty. Generally the faster you act with this the better.

If its in the urine and coming out of the urethra then it could be a UTI, amoxycillin will do until you can get her to the vet but ideally you want her on septrin for a UTI, this is also very painful so metacam might be worthwhile too.

I should add rats do have heat periods every 5 days approximatly but they dont bleed during this. Instead they ping around whenever anything touches there rump and flutter there ears and generally look comical. It only last about half a day max.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts