Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave Mickey and Snowball a few grapes and apples along with their veggies last night and today when I went to spot clean their cage I found a few mushy poops not sure which one has them , can grapes cause this ? they both act healthy and very alert nothing seems different , I think I will lay of the fruit for awhile and see what happens

·
Registered
213 Posts
This is just a theory, but maybe because you added extra fruit the excess liquid gave them a little diarrhea? Too much lettuce can cause stuff like that, so maybe grapes are similar.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Grape skins are poisonous to dogs if I remember correctly... Though I've read grapes are fine for rats but can cause diarrhea if given too many. Same idea as watermelon. :3 My rats love grapes. :3 Purple grapes are also supposed to help prevent cancer as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is the first site where i've read they are bad. If you Google it, all the links say its fine, & red grapes have anti-cancer properties. I remember checking before feeding them grapes & just checked again to be sure.
The only thing I can think is perhaps if they are talking about grapes with seeds in them? Even then I don't remember reading grape seeds were bad. I feed my rats (seedless) grapes pretty often and have had no problems...

·
Registered
16 Posts
yeah, I've looked on other sites and they all suggest grapes are okay. Although bad for cats. Maybe someone got mixed up between cats and rats?

There's a component in the red skin of red grapes called resveratrol which is said to starve the blood supply to cancerous tumours, it can be found in other foods, but red grapes are particularly good for it. They also act as a blocker for some narcotics such as crystal meth, bizarrely.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Any overabundance of sugary foods, like fruits, can cause loose stool or diarrhea in most animals, rats as well. They're tiny so it doesn't take much sugar to be too much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts