Rat Forum banner

Do i get rid of my rats (you can see in one of my other posts)

• Yes, get rid of them.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No it’s ok.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait and see how it goes.

Votes: 6 66.7%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m think of getting rid of my rats. I haven’t had them for long but I heard they can cause asthma. I didn’t care much before but I am developing symptoms. They get out a lot and can poop on my bed and around my room pretty often. I don’t know what to do and I need peoples opinions. Do I get rid of my rats?

· Registered
Twig and Sprig 💕
357 Posts
I’m think of getting rid of my rats. I haven’t had them for long but I heard they can cause asthma. I didn’t care much before but I am developing symptoms. They get out a lot and can poop on my bed and around my room pretty often. I don’t know what to do and I need peoples opinions. Do I get rid of my rats?
You can put up an advertisement on Facebook or some other social media platform and list that you have PET rats for sale. You can also set up an adoption forum on here! 💛

· Registered
190 Posts
I've never heard of rats causing asthma. Did you have asthma before and the rats are triggering it or could it be allergies? I have both asthma and allergies and my rats don't effect either but I understand everyone is different. As said above there are many places you can find people to adopt them from you 🤍

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never heard of rats causing asthma. Did you have asthma before and the rats are triggering it or could it be allergies? I have both asthma and allergies and my rats don't effect either but I understand everyone is different. As said above there are many places you can find people to adopt them from you 🤍
No I haven’t shown any signs of asthma before and I don’t have any known allergies also if I was allergic to them I would have probably had something happen to me because I’ve had them for about a month. I will try and think of other acurances where I burst out in constant undcontrolable coughing and the other things that are heppening to me.

· Registered
PEW, hooded, & berkshire feeders
67 Posts
It's worth considering rehoming but there might be other options. For one, not letting them get out into your bedroom and most definitely not on your bed. Having a separate playpen for roaming time could help and more thorough sanitization. It could also not be the rats, paper bedding can be dusty and affect air quality, depending on what brand you're using. But, if you do decide to get rid of them, which is valid, definitely make sure their new home is suitable<3

· Registered
192 Posts
I'd see a doctor for your coughing / asthma-like issues first. They may be unrelated to the rats.

There are things you can to to minimize allergens. Use fleece liners instead of bedding. Some bedding can be very dusty. Run an air purifier in the bedroom. Don't let the rats on the bed. Sleeping with bedding covered in rat pee and poop can't be sanitary or healthy. Vaccuum the room daily to remove any poop and dirt on the floor. Move the rat cage to a different room in the house. Etc.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd see a doctor for your coughing / asthma-like issues first. They may be unrelated to the rats.

There are things you can to to minimize allergens. Use fleece liners instead of bedding. Some bedding can be very dusty. Run an air purifier in the bedroom. Don't let the rats on the bed. Sleeping with bedding covered in rat pee and poop can't be sanitary or healthy. Vaccuum the room daily to remove any poop and dirt on the floor. Move the rat cage to a different room in the house. Etc.
I am unable to move the cage because I have cats in my house so the only place they can be is in my room also i’m not sure how im supposed to not let them on my bed as they jump high and are very persistent

· Registered
192 Posts
I have cats, too. My rat cage is in the living area. My cats ignore the rat. Your cats, however, may react differently to a rat.

You can either don't do free roam playtime (I don't) or only allow the rats to play in the bathtub, supervised of course and with the door closed.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have cats, too. My rat cage is in the living area. My cats ignore the rat. Your cats, however, may react differently to a rat.

You can either don't do free roam playtime (I don't) or only allow the rats to play in the bathtub, supervised of course and with the door closed.
I do/did give them free roam time before they got out as in in a pen like are and my cats get outside often eating maice and rodents. The one time I let a cat interact with one he was hitting her and she(my rat) was squeaking loudly.

· Registered
845 Posts
I don't think I can tell you whether to rehome the rats or not, but I can say that if you do rehome them, do it really carefully. Make sure they will go to a loving home.
You could try an animal rescue (even better a rat rescue organisation), or your local ASPCA. That way you will still be caring for them by passing them on to a good home.

· Registered
67 Posts
I am unable to move the cage because I have cats in my house so the only place they can be is in my room also i’m not sure how im supposed to not let them on my bed as they jump high and are very persistent
Have you tried an introduction process between the rats and your cats? It's usually possible for the two to coexist in a home peacefully. Of course, it's always important to be cautious and gage your cats' reactions, and also to have a secure enclosure. I was concerned because Lucille hunts rodents outside but I haven't had issues. She'll stare at them on occasion but the rats will lunge at their cage bars if she gets too close and ward her off.

· Registered
67 Posts
I do/did give them free roam time before they got out as in in a pen like are and my cats get outside often eating maice and rodents. The one time I let a cat interact with one he was hitting her and she(my rat) was squeaking loudly.
Scratch what I said, that's not okay. Rehoming might be the most appropriate option since it sounds like you're unwilling or unable to meet much of their care needs. If you'd like, you can message me for suggestions on more suitable pets for your situation.
Edit: Gentle reminder that rats are "exotic" and high maintenance. You have to be able to give them a large enough and sanitary environment, clean water and appropriate food, enrichment (including mental & social), etc. It really is also important to be able to use resources, do research, and improvise/come up with creative solutions.

· Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
206 Posts
@PumpinSpice So, this is probably after the fact (you’ve made your decision by now I’m sure), but… Yes. Yes, without a doubt, you should “get rid of your rats” but only in a responsible way that takes their needs into account, such as finding a rescue organization that takes and rehomes rats, or if you got them from a breeder, any reputable breeder will always take back rats. I would NOT advise selling or giving them away, if possible, unless it is to someone you’ve vetted who you know who is responsible and understands rat care, who won‘t neglect or mistreat them, and is not looking to make them into snake food.

I would also strongly discourage allowing your cats to interact with the rats — I know there are tons of posts with cats and rats as “friends,” but it is never a good idea. Rats are prey animals and are understandably terrified of cats, and putting them through that fear and possible danger is both unnecessary and potentially deadly. Rats can literally die of fright — if they are in a position where they are cornered and feel they cannot escape, they‘ve been known to have heart attacks. A cat with access even to a closed cage can antagonize rats and make their lives miserable.

From the tone of your post, it really does not sound like you’ve bonded with the rats or have much interest in caring for them, you’re not showing any real desire to solve the possible issues you’ve mentioned as reasons to “get rid of them.” If you’re not sincerely devoted to them, it’s best for them to be in a home where they are going to get better care.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts