Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my borris mats just arrived. I was wondering whether I needed to wash them before putting them in the cage? I don't get my boys until Friday. Can I put them straight in, or wash them first? also. Any tips on how to wash and dry them?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've heard people say that they can go right in the washer and dryer for cleaning. That's what I was going to do if I got some. No idea if you should wash them first. I assume it would be fine to just put them in the cage without.

·
Registered
539 Posts
At the very least, air them out... When I got mine, they smelled heavily of the rubber backing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've heard people say that they can go right in the washer and dryer for cleaning. That's what I was going to do if I got some. No idea if you should wash them first. I assume it would be fine to just put them in the cage without.
I put mine in the washer on hot water, but I air-dry them afterwards.

Caveat: Washing them this way will weaken them so that they are not so stiff anymore. When they start getting that flexible, rats can pull them up. My Loki really loves pulling up a corner and then using her hind legs to kick the corner back. This is usually not a big deal; the corner flops back down, and they don't poop on the plastic shelf.

But they will lose their stiffness along the way. This probably is not a big deal, but every rat is different.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My rats are really enjoying their Borris mats...with a side helping of banana it seems!

They're chewing the heck out of them. :( I'm thinking of going to tile (from Home Depot).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts