Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, guys, would you please share your knowledge with me? I have 2 boys ratties, they are 2 months old and I had them for over 2 weeks now, but they don't like to be held. They like to run on the couch and in their cage, but every time I'm trying to hold either one in my arms-they are trying to escape. What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Most rats do love to be held once they get to know and bond with you. Especially boys, as they are a lot calmer than girls. I'm going to say that your boys are like that because they are so young. They're still like "kittens", so to speak. Go, go, go! Play, play, play!

Keep spending time with them everyday and they'll begin to calm down eventually. Make sure that you are a part of their 'running around time' (climbing and running on you is the most fun they can possibly have) and suddenly you'll find that one or both have curled up and fallen asleep in your lap.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
boys are very active when they are young & at 2 months these guys are still babies

give them a few more months & you will most likely come back telling us about the speed bumps laying your couch

My boys are pretty squishy & love to settle in for a snuggle after they give a quick sniff of their immediate surroundings

·
Registered
941 Posts
My always jump on the front of the cage when they see me walk in the room. Then ill open the door and put my hands out and they walk up them.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
With trust-training, you'll have happy-to-be-held boys in no time. When they're out, try to keep them in your hands as long as possible. After around 20 minutes, rats loose their ability to be scared, so if you can do that each time they're out, they'll get more and more used to you. Also, be sure all treats are handed to them. If they don't take them yet, just keep trying, they will.

Takes time. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
4 out of my 6 rats love to be picked up and fussed. The other 2 will let me hold them and give them a fuss but are more happy running around with my other rats. My last 2 male rats would sit in my pocket or hood on my coat all day long if they could.

·
Registered
219 Posts
At first they prefer roaming in my room (and sometimes checking me), but when they get bored they sit on my lap and wait to be fuzzed or if i dont do it, they just fall asleep.

·
Registered
155 Posts
my rat actually acts like a dog. when i stop petting her for awhile and put my hand next to her she starts to lick it. rats LOVE to be held that is after you build a bit of a bond after awhile. it took me a month to get her to trust me.Otherwise she would have kept doing her buisness on me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts