Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
I believe rats are lactose intolerant, so I wouldn't give them cow cheese or cows milk.

I remember hearing that the whole cheese myth started because the cheese retained tooth marks so people assumed thats what the mice/rats were eating. They'd rather have bread or peanut butter :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
LoL, yes, they really do. Every rat I've had has loved it. But they should only get it in teeny portions because it's full of fat, and high fat foods can cause tumors. A good every-now-and-then treat, though. :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It depends on the rat. I have a super picky rat that will only eat certain things. Generally speaking....I'd say they enjoy it as much as any other treat but I'm willing to bet they'd turn down a piece of cheese for a yogurt drop!

·
Registered
532 Posts
My boys like the cheese that is on Cheetos cheese puffs...They only get TINY pieces, though, and only 1 per week. i think they could eat them for the rest of their lives if i let them. :D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yes, my girls adore cheese. But I'd heard the lactose intolerant thing, so they only get one sliver (like the kind that comes off of a big cheese or carrot grater) once a week or so. It's a definite favorite, but I've never tried a showdown between cheese and yogies!

·
Registered
527 Posts
my ratlings love any and all dairy products, but i try not to let them have any at all, just to be on the safe side.

although they did eat a few noodles from my mac & cheese once.
i couldn't resist their begging faces that time. :lol:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i bred mice in high school, many many millions of years ago, and we proved then that, given the option, rats & mice will eat just about anything before they will eat cheese.

having said that, my girls love cheese... cream cheese and cheddar. the boys will nibble at it, but havent developed a taste for it yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts