Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am soon to be the proud new caretaker of two male rats. I would like to hear stories/experiences from owners of male rats as to what a typical day is like with them & what things I can expect.

Thanks in Advance for your Feedback,

pdm :arrow:

the Melody of Logic Always Plays Notes of Truth

·
Registered
407 Posts
I love my squishy boys! I have both females and males. While I wouldnt trade my girls for anything in the world, I would have to say that its the boys that have truly taken my heart!

My boys will curl up in my lap while I read; they will give me kisses whenever I greet them in the morning; they literally love on me like no other pet Ive ever owned.

They are sweet, funny, fun, loving and just wonderful. That is my experience anyway.

I know from ppl on here that girls are naturally more hyper than boys.

·
Registered
347 Posts
In the past I've only owned four different male rats, and I currently have two male rats. With the experience I've had with them they are the most loveable and beautiful pets to have. Now most people say male rats curl up in your lap, but some male rats are much different. One of my past rats would climb around anywhere I put him and lie somewhere all day just to think of a cunning plan. Then when night struck, he would try to escape from the cage and all. Once in the morning I found him on my table eating some cheese I forgot to put away! From then on I have a sort of lock on the door. But most male rats will be cuddly, squishy and cute!
Enjoy your time with your rats!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have two boys, a younger "brother" and an older "brother." (Non-blood relations. Check the signature for ages.)

I LOVE male rats! I find that they change a lot, over their lives. My experience has been that, when they are young, everything is some kind of a game, that involves running, chewing, and wrestling. Young Adulthood is about when they figure out that they can have times of petting and loving, alternating with times of play. And Gregor, my first boy, RIP, only ever wanted to snuggle and be pet when he was near the end of his life. Like female rats, they are extremely smart, capable of basic communication, and full of love.

Of course...every personality is different, so you can't always tell. It's kind of like asking what human boys are like. You can tell the "usual" stuff, but there are plenty of exceptions.

So, I guess my final answer is:

Male rats are...wonderful! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I found when I had my ratties, one was happy to sit in my lap and enjoy the fuss while the other couldn't sit still no matter what. I should mention though that you have to be aware of the 'accidents' that ARE going to happen while one is in your lap/ on your shoulder. But it's a small price to pay. xx

·
Registered
208 Posts
The typical day with my boys:

Morning: Wait for mommy to wake up

10am: Stare at mommy through the cage and beg for yummies, making sure to reach the cute little arms out of the cage as far as they can reach.

10:15am: Pretend that we didn't thrash our cage overnight and look real innocent when mommy attempts to put all the towels and fleece bits back where they go.

10:30am Pull all the towels and fleece that mommy just arranged back down to the floor level, and cover the food dish.

11am: Beg for breakfast time! More little arms reaching out. Convince mommy that we need some fresh veggies.

12pm: Nap time!

1pm: Wake up and beg for play from mommy!

1:30pm: Wait a minute, mommy rearranged our towels again! Quick, cover the food dish!

2pm: I guess I'll nibble on some labblocks....

3pm: Play?

4pm: Nap

5pm: Labblocks!

6pm: PLAY!!

7pm: Some dinner veggies please! Maybe some other goodies, since we've been real good today.

8pm: Hey, are those towels moved again?? Arg! Protect the food dish!

9pm: scritch me, love me, kiss me

10pm: Cuddles and love

11pm: I guess we'll leave the towels where they are for the night, since mommy worked so hard on keeping them nice for us.

12am: Is that a midnight snack!! :)

1am: mommy is in bed, let's play cover the food dish with towels again and completely thrash our cage!! Woo hoo!!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My day with my boys... hrm...

I wake up. They beg for treats. I probably give them one. I call Guinness out of his hammock for one, because he won't beg, but he gets one anyway. I tell them to be good. Go to work.

They eat. They play. They sleep. They tear up all their fleece and use it to cover their food dishes or make tubes to sleep in.

I come home. They're asleep. Except for Puck, who begs. He gets something (in secret, shhh!)

I make dinner. They wake up. They beg. I deny (but save some for dinner time).

Play time!

I spray on the spray benadryl.

They beg for more treats. I probably cave.

Rattie dinner time! They fight over the goodies, ignore the blocks. They'll eat those later.

More play.

I go to sleep. They play and fight and try to wake up mommy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts