Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have two girls who are doing just fine. Today i rescued a little albino girl from a pet shop where they had this little one by herself. (Dont ask cuz i dont know why) I couldnt stand to see her like that so i snatched it up without thinking. I have her in a small cage now i need help introducing her.

Im no expert but i have a big storage tub and i put her in there with my girls one at a time. Puff (which is what i named my new girly) is smaller but she seemed so happy to see another rat. She jumped on them and chased them and crawled under them. My more timid rat, Timpelton, just ignored her and looked for a way out. My more inquisitive rat, Cookie, decided that along with trying to find a a way out she would kick her and step on her. I didnt know rats could kick like horses.

How can i get them to like her because i hate having herby herself. any advice?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Probably you just did intros too fast. I just got done bringing a third rat into my mischief, and I took about a week intro-ing my girls all the way. Even that was really fast, I know I was lucky that it took such a short time! After the proper procedure, I bet your girls will all settle down nicely with each other.

Read this threadon intro-ing rats. It's a much more complicated and detailed process than just throwing two and one together and hoping that the like each other! Furthermore, it has been suggested to intro everyone all at once, so that they can start working on their hierarchy right away.

It's already too late, I guess, but did you not do a quarantine for a reason? A petshop can be a very dangerous place to get a new rat from, in terms of your "older" rats picking something up.

Good luck intro-ing, I'm sure the new girl is just happy as a clam to have rattie friends again!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Sounds actually like a good intro start. The baby Puff is acting just like a typical obnoxious baby should, the kicking and ignoring is much better than aggressive pinning etc from the adults. They recognize her as a baby and in rattese are treating her as such. "Git off me you annoying kid!"

I would be happy with such an intro. :)

Yeah without even a Room QT, you had better keep a really close eye on all of your rats, since baby Puff might have been incubating something viral and nasty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now both my girls kick her when i put them together. i tried putting the cages next to each other and even letting my girls crawl on Puff's cage during free roam time. Are they just picking on her and will i ever be able to put her in with them?...... :?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts