Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dotty has had a lump on her side for awhile now and recently it has been steadily getting bigger - I know her time is nearly up but I just don't like to admit it to myself :( - and I've noticed that she isn't as active as usual when I get her out, this may seem like a silly question but is that due to the lump/tumour?

The lump is behind her left front leg it doesn't seem to hinder her movement or flexabilty in anyway.

Just thinking of what the horrible lump could be is making me sad now :(

EDIT - Saying that she's just come out of her hidy box now and is having a sniff round. She must've known she's being mentioned. Lol.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Re: Do Tumours...

can you post a picture? it could be a tumor or an abcess, sorry i'm not too good with telling the differences just by description :oops:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

It could just be that she's older. Usually, tumors don't affect rats too much, especially if they're not hindering their movements at all. Though, the larger a tumor gets, the more blood supply it takes up (thus why it's highly recommended to have them removed within about a week of first spotting them).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I thought afterwards that it may be because she's getting old, she is 10 months old now.

I know that I should've had it removed as soon as I took her to the vets, but I was unemployed at the time and had very little money so couldn't afford to pay for the operation and after care treatment - my parents wouldn't pay for it either as they'd already helped me out by paying £30 to have her eye sorted out and treated.
I also didn't want to put such a little body under such stress of an operation or even worse lose her.
As long as Dotty is happy within herself, then I'm happy. Soon after I posted this as I said she came out of her box and started having a wander round and clambering up me.

Can I also add that the lump seems to be under one of her nipples, I was reading about something similar on here and when the vet looked at this other rats lump milk came out. It also looks like two lumps sat next to each other.

Sorry about the bad quality of the picture, but it's the best one I have of her lump - Getting a picture of the girls is alot easier said than done!

Please don't anyone have a go at me. I love my babies so much and they are spoilt rotten, but sometimes you just can't do what's best for them.
As I said she is happy within herself.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

Oh my gosh, only 10 months old? She's not old at all, she's still a baby!

She'd probably pull through the surgery with flying colors. As long as you have a rat-savvy vet who has performed surgeries on rats before, she'll be just fine. The key to any successful surgery with rats is pain management, and a course of antibiotics after the surgery. If possible, you really should have that tumor removed. I can't believe she's only 10 months old :( Mammary tumors are the number one reason why I spay my girls as soon as they're big enough (approx. 3 months old).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I'm not sure if she got the lump from having babies - I noticed it about 4 months after she'd given birth.

Well I have a job now now so I may consider having it removed after christmas (I'm just hoping that it isn't to big by then) and I'll still have my happy lil one eyed girl for a fair few more years.
My vet is very good, I always make sure that I see the vet who owns the surgery as he has alot more experience.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

You really should get the tumor removed as soon as possible. The longer a tumor's left, the bigger they grow and the more blood supply they take up. That makes it harder for the vet (and therefore more expensive), the recovery period is longer and possibly more uncomfortable for the rat, and the chance for the tumor to grow back is greater.

·
Registered
393 Posts

I agree with Night, she is still very young yet and you should have the surgery done as soon as possible. Do you need any help finding a good recommended rat vet for the surgery? I have some vet lists you can look at and see if any are near you.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I've just had a talk with my mom and decided that I'll take her to have her lump removed after christmas when I'll have more time and work will have settled down. I also don't think I can bare to not have my little girl with me, her sister and daughter at christmas.

I'm hoping it'll only cost around £100 - £150 to get her sorted out...but she's worth the money whatever it may come to (I'll just have to work my socks off for the next few months :p )
So good news is that the future doesn't look as bleak as it did.

Thanks for the offer Darksong17 but I think I'll stick with the place that I know (and knows us) best. The vet that I usually go to does seem to know his stuff.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

Good luck and keep us updated on Dotty :)

·
Registered
393 Posts

No problem! Best of luck with her and as Night said definitely keep us up to date :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for your help guys (you've gave me the kick I needed) and I'll definitely keep you updated.

I've just gave them a big bowl of fruit and veggies, as they're my babies :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thinking about it now, my main worry seems to be that she won't pull through...Do any of you guys have any idea what the chances are that she WON'T get through it...?

As I said she's around 10 months old, isn't under or over weight and you've seen as best a picture as I can get of the lump.
Altho this is my main worry, I'm still going to go through with it as I'll never know unless I try. If anything does happen to her during surgery at least I know that she passed away while I was trying to save her life :)

Also how soon can I introduce her back to her cagemates? I really don't have a spare cage that I could keep her in, unless I went out and broughta large(ish) hamster cage. As I can't imagine she'll be all that active until she's fully recovered.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

At 10 months old, if she's healthy, she'll pull through it. Again, it all depends on your vet and his/her experience with rat surgery. Some rats do harbor hidden issues like heart problems that only arise in situations like surgery where anesthetic is present, but that's fairly unlikely.

It's a good idea to keep her away from the others for about 4-6 days. Not only because of the possibility of the other ratties messing with the incision, but also because rats shouldn't move around a whole lot after surgery. Just make sure you get a course of antibiotics (about a week's worth) and some pain medication (2-5 days worth).

You might want to take this opportunity to purchase a (rat appropriate) spare cage. They come in handy in so many ways and in many situations.

My 3-year old girl, Hazel, just had exploratory surgery a couple weeks ago. She wasn't fazed at all by it, and recovered beautifully :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Do Tumours... (UPDATE)

Well on early Christmas morning, I noticed that Dotty had an open wound on the lump :(
I took her to the vets today and she explained that it's due to an absess. So I decided that she's going to have the operation next Thursday (If my mom will take her in for me as I'm going to be away, otherwise it'll be the following week).
The vet was really nice (considering I started crying in the surgery :oops: ) and she's used to/has operated on ratties before and seems to know what she's talking about. I originally didn't want to get it done, but when the vet said that she'd otherwise have to be put to sleep, I just started crying and decided that it HAD to be done as I can't bare to lose my baby.

She's given me some medicene to give to the girls as Dotty sounded raspy and also to help her wound, which I have to give by mouth which is easier said than done :lol: Dotty had to be wrapped in a towel and held by my dad, while Roxy and Doris had the shock of thier lives as what they thought was a tasty syringe entered their cage, it turned to be full of nasty stuff when they attempted to eat it.
I'm really happy at the minute as my girl is going to be better.
Please send your good thoughts to Dotty next Thursday to get through her operation.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

A tumour removal is not a super-difficult operation, and at her age should be just fine. :) She's a young adult, not an older compromised girl.

Your vet probably has her on baytril to prevent infection of the abscess. I am glad you are getting it removed because an abscess will shorten her life dramatically. :(

I often keep my rats that have had surgery separated overnight so they can sleep and relax, and put them back in with their cagemates the next day. Just watch for any undue attention to the incision site by her cagemates.

If you find your girl is active and unhappy by herself, then by all means put her back with her friends right away. Often they will just be happier to be Home and will curl up and sleep part of the night/day away.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

lilspaz68 said:
A tumour removal is not a super-difficult operation, and at her age should be just fine. :) She's a young adult, not an older compromised girl.

Your vet probably has her on baytril to prevent infection of the abscess. I am glad you are getting it removed because an abscess will shorten her life dramatically. :(

I often keep my rats that have had surgery separated overnight so they can sleep and relax, and put them back in with their cagemates the next day. Just watch for any undue attention to the incision site by her cagemates.

If you find your girl is active and unhappy by herself, then by all means put her back with her friends right away. Often they will just be happier to be Home and will curl up and sleep part of the night/day away.
I'm just scared as it's quite big and the vet reckons that a blood vessel is near it. But on the plus side she's got alot of lose skin round the lump so they should be able to patch it up nicely.
She said that they should be seperated for 10 days otherwise the others probably will undo her stitches. I'll get them out every night together though and give Dotty plenty to cuddle upto. I may put them together for a few hours in the cage, but only when I'm at home (Doris is a pain for chewing and I imagine she'd be the sort who would attempt to undo stitches).

Yes, she's on baytril at the moment, as are Roxy and Doris.

Sorry, my spelling was awful on my last post, I'm just so excited that my girl is going to be happy and healthy again.
Oh, the operation will be next Thursday as I just rang and booked it at the vets. I have a good feeling about this, so know that I'm doing the right thing.

Oh and will she need to go on a special diet while she's recovering? Or will her normal food be okay for her?

EDIT - The vet also said that the tumour was most likely caused due to hormones by her being pregnant and having babies when I brought her.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

Normal food will be just fine. You can offer baby food or baby cereal just to make sure she eats if you like.

Make sure your vet sends you home with 2-3 days of pain meds (metacam is good). If not you have an uncomfortable rat and possible stitch picking.

Is your vet going to use stitches, staple or glue on the outer skin layer?

Sadly tumours grow by the blood supply, that is where they get their nutrients. Its part of the problem. It can cause anemia when its large or has a big blood supply, this is why they lose weight so drastically.

I had a girl have a tumour removal (my first) and it was only a bit smaller than she was. She was fine, and over 2 years old as well.

Ummm...in about 3-4 days the incision is well on its way to healed so 10 days is excessive by far. You will see how insanely fast it is :)

Your first rat surgery?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I'll write that down on my list of things to do/ask.

She said that she'll be using stitches, but will be using them mainly on the inside and as few possible on the out.
I've noticed that she's become thinner. I just want next week to hurry up and get it over with.

I think Dotty's is about the size of her head/abit smaller than a golf ball. I feel so awful leaving it this long to get it removed, but I was unemployed and had hardly any money when I first got her checked out, so £70+ was alot of money to me.
Yeah, I think I'll just let time tell. I'll know when she's ready to go back - as all rattie mummys know this stuff :)

Yeah my first and hopefully my last!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

She will be using internal dissolvable stitches inside, then regular stitches on the outside. My vet uses glue and if she really has to a few staples (which I and they hate).

Ask your vet what pain meds she gave during surgery. I would keep her on abs (baytril) for 7 days afterwards to prevent infection.

She could be groggy when she gets home, anesthesia seems to know them for a loop for a day. The next day by mid-afternoon she should be feeling more normal.

A sign of pain is sucking in the gut, and sometimes twisting..its called the Owwie stretch. They hurt. IF your vet won't give you pain meds to go home with (some won't :() then PM me and I'll help you figure out sometime OTC for her.

Since she's soo young you have automatically lengthened her life. :D

1 - 20 of 69 Posts