Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where did you get them, and if you have severe allergies to fur, and trees, dust, basically everything, do you think 2 hairless rats in a room you never go in with a cage kept really clean would be a problem? thank you! also can you give them toilet paper rolls like you do with haired rats? will it cut them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question.

If you aren't going in the room why would you want pets you put in a room that you would never go in?

I do have hairless & I have read everything I can about them.

One thing to keep in mind about pet allergies... sometimes it isn't the dander (fur) that causes the allergy attack. I have heard about many cases where people have bad respiratory attacks from the urine/feces. Not necessarily from handling the cage or animal by cleaning/caring from them but just from living in the same house as the animal because the airborne nature of the urine/feces smell. I have heard of people who get hives from a small scratch or even touching them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,641 Posts
Phobie said:
Strangely it is also the saliva that a lot of people are allergic too.
That was something i was not aware of, I knew about that with cats...do you think its the porphryin? Its in their urine and their saliva. :insert scratching head smiley here:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Well rats don't have saliva as such, I don't think, but I know that most animals carry allergens through the saliva and/or mouth :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,641 Posts
Phobie said:
Well rats don't have saliva as such, I don't think, but I know that most animals carry allergens through the saliva and/or mouth :)
You have never had a lickbath have you? You end up positively damp. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
That's what I thought but I looked it up and apparently they don't have 'saliva' (I guess it means whatever carries the allergens..)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
like I said above

pet allergies aren't always because of dander or hair

I am just so thankful I don't have allergies to my pets or any of the types of animals that I have had in my life

(fingers crossed that age doesn't change this on me)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
Even if fur does aggrivate allergies - unless you get a true hairless, it'll still have fur on it's face, feet and tail, and perhaps a babyfine coat over it's body

I've only seen Double Rex's commercially sold (in my area anyway) I've never seen true hairless'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
A1APassion said:
like I said above

pet allergies aren't always because of dander or hair
Was that to me? :p I'm allergic to dogs and cat dander. And I have/had dogs and cats. So yeah, I know... Most often it's NOT the fur, but the dander. With rats, it's quite often not the dander, but the urine. If you're getting a skin reaction, it is most likely the urine. If you're getting sniffles/sneezes, or breathing problems, it may be the dander. However, it may also be the bedding, which is something many people find out when using certain beddings.

No matter how you slice it, I wouldn't say that hairless (double rex or not) are "better than" furred rats when it comes to allergies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Ration1802 said:
unless you get a true hairless, it'll still have fur on it's face, feet and tail, and perhaps a babyfine coat over it's body
even true hairlesses can keep fur on their faces and feet(I think)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A1APassion said:
I'm not sure I understand your question.

If you aren't going in the room why would you want pets you put in a room that you would never go in?

I do have hairless & I have read everything I can about them.

One thing to keep in mind about pet allergies... sometimes it isn't the dander (fur) that causes the allergy attack. I have heard about many cases where people have bad respiratory attacks from the urine/feces. Not necessarily from handling the cage or animal by cleaning/caring from them but just from living in the same house as the animal because the airborne nature of the urine/feces smell. I have heard of people who get hives from a small scratch or even touching them.
someone else in my house has the alergies silly, they never go in my room
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
if their allergy to them is airborne then they wouldn't need to go into your room to be effected by them & keeping the animal in a closed room isn't going to eliminate their exposure to what ever is setting them off

hair is not the thing that most people have an allergy to... it is the dander & being an animal that doesn't have much hair really doesn't remove the dander factor since dander is in fact skin.

if the individual in question is allergic to the dander & they are never in the room of the animal & the animal is not allowed in the body of the house where the allergic person goes & they are still having allergic reactions then either you or whoever enters the room is transferring the dander on your person, your clothing 7 this is what could be setting them off... these particles can travel on you

or maybe their allergy is set off by an airborne tranmission that is being produce by the animal (urine/feces) & the very presence of the animal in the shared airspace of the home is going to cause them to have a reaction regardless as to whether it is behind a closed door

Does that help?

Those airborne transferences cannot be prevented by a mere separation of a closed door... this is also why it is written over & over again that proper quarantining cannot be done within a single home
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Its funny that so much discussion is going on today about this very subject. I am in fact waiting on a call from a friend of mine who may have developed an allergy to her rats & I may have to adopt all of them

Right now I am offering to keep them at my house until she figures it out because she will have to remove them, thorough clean her entire house & wash every article of clothing before she can even by "pet-free" in order to find out what is setting her off
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top