Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
What do you think about safety?

I guess I'm wondering if the rats would be at risk of chewing loose a strand of yarn and possibly ingesting that--or else getting a foot or leg caught in the yarn.

It is very cute, though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is probably no less safe than the rope toys we put in without a thought, in my opinion. Perhaps use a natural fibre like cotton or wool rather than acrylic yarn, in case of chewing?

·
Registered
320 Posts
It is probably no less safe than the rope toys we put in without a thought, in my opinion. Perhaps use a natural fibre like cotton or wool rather than acrylic yarn, in case of chewing?
Rope toys are tightly bound, so the risk of catching a foot/leg isn't the same. I'd assume folks are removing those rope toys anyway, if they become chewed/damaged to the point of being unsafe.

And, we actually see a lot of dogs come into the vet, for obstructions and intestinal damage, usually they need surgery, caused by chewing on those rope toys--lots of those little strings get ingested, very dangerous.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Rats don't typically eat the things they chew up.

Dogs and ferrets have to be watched like hawks, cus they are likely to eat seriously odd things that need to be removed surgically. I've seen a lot of blockages in ferrets-biggest culprit is little pieces of foam which after being ingested get hair stuck to them forming a great big nasty obstruction. My vet used to keep a bunch of jars of the weird stuff she removed from dogs. One actually ate his collar, tags and all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rope toys are tightly bound, so the risk of catching a foot/leg isn't the same. I'd assume folks are removing those rope toys anyway, if they become chewed/damaged to the point of being unsafe.

And, we actually see a lot of dogs come into the vet, for obstructions and intestinal damage, usually they need surgery, caused by chewing on those rope toys--lots of those little strings get ingested, very dangerous.
Fair point :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I knitted my rats a hammock using very thick cotton string as yarn. It turned out great. That hammock is one of the few clothlike things they use but don't chew. Maybe you could try using that as yarn for your project too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts