Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this guy, he is silver with a blue "hood". Have hooded rats ever been known to be set on any other color, aside from white? He had two siblings that where "hooded" too. One darker and one lighter, both with a darker hood. So light silver, blue hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
He is most likely molting and that will not be his adult fur. Babies can be wonky during that time lol

What were his parents?

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
New morphs do turn up from time to time... I'd keep an eye on it and see what develops, but no, I haven't seen this one before.

The blaze strikes me as suspicious... is there a chance there's some high white in the mix? High white is kind of a genetic fudge factor that can produce some really unusual looking rats. I once saw a high white that pretty much had vertical stripes. Unfortunately, for the most part they can't be safely bred.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never looked into or heard of "high white" I will have to do research on that. Any other user suggest merle and after them saying that, I see how that could be a possibility. He isn't quite as randomized or marbled as most merles I have seen, but maybe it was just a fluke.What would be a defining factor of "high white" or how would I know if it was in the mix. He does have a white berkshire belly and that neat missmarked blaze. Or at least I think those are the proper terms. LolWhy would the blaze be suspicious? I have seen other hooded with blazes?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few people have suggested that he is molting, and I certainly am not ruling it out because I am not an expert on what that would entail, or how long it would take. But like I said he has two siblings that have the same markings. They look dark blue hooded overy a lighter blue body. Also they have been like this their entire lives.... unless the breeder was lying to me, how could it be molting?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I hope you keep taking pictures and sharing. It will be interesting to see what he grows up to look like.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
My blue hooded boy had a much lighter spot on his rump when he was around the same age as your little guy. His color evened out as he entered adulthood, but his blue hood still looks rather patchy (I figure it's just bad genes lol). Unless you're in the UK, blazes are typically indicative of a high white lineage. High whites can produce interesting variations on colors and even tri-color rats (I currently have a girl with blue agouti face spots and a chocolate brown splotch on her back). Please do keep us updated.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's fantastic! What a pretty fella! I've never seen anything like that, not that I'm an expert.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts