Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0212.JPG
Ratatosk was brought in by a cat last summer when he was five days old. He is tricky to photograph since he does not like to sit still when outside his cage, is asleep when light conditions are good and vary of me waggling the camera around so I always have to zoom in on him in twilight.
He lives in two 6-feet cages connected by a tube with his girlfriend, a Norway rat the same age as him but much bigger. She likes to wrestle choice foods from him.
He doesn't much care about food, toys, or sitting on someone's shoulder. He likes watching cats, humans, and climbing up clothes on hangers in my wardrobe.

Does anyone else have a roof rat?

·
Registered
Bandit, Biscuit, and Sage
409 Posts
Oh, a roof rat! I've certainly heard of a few wild roof rats being saved as young kits and then raised to be good pets. Good idea to have a Norway rat companion - since they're different species they can't breed!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
From RatBehavior.org, [Can Norway rats and roof rats interbreed?]

In rare circumstances, when two closely related species are kept together in captivity, mating may occur. The resulting pregnancy may be unsuccessful and the embryos die. Norway rat and roof rat crosses are usually unsuccessful. Gray (1972) reports unsuccessful matings between Norway and roof rats, and Chiasson (1980) records that Norway and roof rats will not produce offspring, even if artificially inseminated. Castle (1947) reports that crosses between R. norvegicus and R. rattus are very difficult to obtain, such that the embryos never come to term alive.

However, there is at least one anecdotal case of a cross between a male R. norvegicus and three female R. rattus which produced offspring, all of which were born alive but died shortly after birth. The rats were owned by Jane Adamo of New York, and her description of the event follows [story at the above]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've never had a roof rat, but it sound interesting!!!

Reactions: *Ratatosk*

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He is so much different than Elsa. He cannot be grabbed, I have to wait for him to come climb up on my arm. He is not afraid to explore open spaces. He can run up and down on branches, hanging clothes and people wearing clothes (no way to trim his nails so it is painful to have him climb on human skin). He is not interested in treats so I have no way of training him to do anything... he uses his tail like a squirrel and his abilities to jump are amazing. If in a good mood, he might hum at me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts