Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious how large numbers of rats interact with each other. I remember one owner saying it was like a kid's classroom, there were groups of 2-3 rats that were best friends and only hung out with each other, some were loners and some were friendly to eveyrone. It sounds pretty interesting. So what is your experience with lots of rats in one cage? Is it like this person described?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
It's a little more fluid than a classroom with cliques and such. I don't have a good metaphor for it. Generally, it's an interesting harmony. They all should get along and cuddle every now and then or choose not to sometimes. I have 11 in a TCN (had 12) and they are just a pack of rats. They play and cuddle together or they hang out alone. If you ever research wild rats you'd see the fluidity of it and how it isn't quite metaphorical to a classroom.

The important thing for large mischiefs is to accommodate everyone. Not everyone is a tree rat or burrow rat, so you need to offer lots of options of where to sleep and what to play with and room to do it. I offer a CN with hanging stuff and lots of floor room, a CN with mostly climbing space and such and the final CN with digging opportunities and hide houses. My rats prefer to play in the latter two and sleep in the first generally. Make sure you mix it up and maximize your space!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for your reply! As much as I would love to have many rats, I doubt I ever would. I am getting two more fuzzies tommorow! After quarantine I will be introducing them to my lone girl (Her cage mate died a few weeks ago.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts