Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got two hairless rats from a lovely and responsible petstore, turns out, the girl was pregnant.

all of the babies (all survived, our Waffle is a wonderful mom!) are two weeks old, begining to open their eyes and GROWING FUZZ!

I'm assuming the other hairless rat she came with knocked her up, but I'm not sure. A lot of people want to adopt our new rats since they're free and unusual (except the two we're keeping :)

all the babies will have homes, what i'm wondering is if their fuzz will fall out and they'll be hairless or if actual hair will grown in.
does hairless+hairless=hairless?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'm assuming they're double rex, in which case I believe the answer is yes.

Remember to separate the boys from girls at 5 weeks to prevent more babies. :)

BTW.... you say 'the girl.' Did you get a girl and a boy? Are they separate?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yes!
i will!

how much should i handle the babies?
they really seem to like running around on me, sitting on my shoulder and many of the future adopties have been handling them too, is that okay?
and Waffle, the mama is totally cool with it, it's fun to take them all out with Waffle, she isn't nippy at all, just really cute!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, i got them together, boy and girl, we seperated them as soon as they got home :)
i didn't take them out together because i was scared he might impregnate her because he might be her brother.
he might be the father, he might not. is that dangerous? i know a lot about human genetics but NOTHING about rat genetics, are her children at risk of homogenious disadvantage?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Yes. Handle the babies as much as possible, with letting them eat and sleep and such. :lol:

It will get them used to various people and human contact, etc. :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
waffle said:
yes, i got them together, boy and girl, we seperated them as soon as they got home :)
i didn't take them out together because i was scared he might impregnate her because he might be her brother.
he might be the father, he might not. is that dangerous? i know a lot about human genetics but NOTHING about rat genetics, are her children at risk of homogenious disadvantage?
You will likely want to consider keeping a boy to keep the male company and a female to keep the mother company. They do best in pairs.

Yes, he might be the father, so might any other male that came in. They're all probably related. They rats likely won't suffer too much unless they carry poor genetics (tendencies towards tumors, etc).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on no!
i hope they don't get tumors!
since i'm a boy, it's sort of a joke that i'm so maternal but they're my baby's babies! :)
i'm planning to keep one male (to keep the dad, Eggo, company) and one female to keep Waffle company.

at what age is it okay to introduce my adult male to his new roomate?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You can start at five weeks, I think, but watch for any aggression towards the baby. The general rule is no blood-no foul, but search the boards for the proper way to introduce rats and try to follow that.

And if you can, try adopting out the babies in pairs. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all of the adopties want pairs of the same gender,
WONDERFUL!
i've read they wean at 4 weeks, and i've also read they wean at 6 weeks, which is true?
at what age should i try to introduce the babies to solid food?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
waffle said:
all of the adopties want pairs of the same gender,
WONDERFUL!
i've read they wean at 4 weeks, and i've also read they wean at 6 weeks, which is true?
at what age should i try to introduce the babies to solid food?
They'll start trying mother's food any day now, but will continue to nurse until the 4th week, I believe.

Since they'll be separated before their fifth week, they'll have to be weaned by then. :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
my babies from the hairless mom are 3 weeks old now & they have shed just about all of their fuzz

They never had much hair to begin with.

They are 25 days old today.

Mine have been on Esbilac formula for almost a week now. We didn't plan to wean them... it just happened. Their Mom Fluffy simply stopped producing milk. She will still clean them & play with them but even when they all lay together... no one attempts to nurse. I was pretty stressed for a few days, we lost one baby during the transition but now they are doing very good drinking the formula from a dish as well as eat food & drink water.

I introduced the babies to crushed rat block before their eyes were open & by the time their eyes did open a few days later they were already crawling over to the dish & nibbling on their own.

Keep an eye on them closely since it is a well documented fact that the hairless Moms often have difficulty with lactation. Fluffy's milk just flat out stopped at right about 14 to 18 days. She is an attentive Mom, just not able to nurse.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
you can find it at most pet stores

call around

I have found it at one small private owned pet shop I do business with & I have found it at pet smart (& the like) but these big name stores seem to charge more than the smaller shops

You will find it with the dog/puppy supplies

·
Registered
122 Posts
oh my god!!!!!I got Ollie from a petstore,Petsmart,so i didn't really know how old he was,he is a little bigger than those, and he is still "fuzzy" Should he have been sold then???He's doing great,would it be best if I god him like,a kitten bottle and some formula?I got him about a week ago.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Is that him in your avatar? He looks fine....

Some 'hairless' remain fuzzy on their face and such, because they aren't truly 'hairless'

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Kimmiekins said:
Which brings us to Double Rex vs. Hairless, but we've already been there in this topic. :lol:
YEeeep. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts