Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from the day i bought my rat (robert) he was rattling,sneezing, honking so i took him to the vet who said he caught a cold and gave him antibiotics, bisolvon and meloxidyl which i gave him for a week then took him again to the vet who said its all okay now and i can stop giving him everything. but he was still rattling and breathing loudly a couple days after so i started giving him antibiotics again. i stopped after a week because his poop started becoming very stinky and his rattling didnt seem to get better. what should i do now? i saw that its a possibilty that a rat has asthma but i really cant afford another vet visit rn. should i start giving him the other meds or stop everything? i even put him in a steamy bathroom for 15 mins like someone here told me to. i dont know what to do, i really want to introduce him to my other rat so he can have fun and be with another rat but till his not okay i cant. ( other then sneezing, coughing he eats well, active, runs around!)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
It is possible that he may just have sensitivities that cause frequent coughing ,sneezing and noisy breathing.I have had many rats like this who honked and rattled all their life and never needed antibiotics and plenty that grew out of it as they got older.If in every other way he appears healthy ,move him in with the others.Even if he was sick,mycoplasma is not contagious,all rats carry it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is possible that he may just have sensitivities that cause frequent coughing ,sneezing and noisy breathing.I have had many rats like this who honked and rattled all their life and never needed antibiotics and plenty that grew out of it as they got older.If in every other way he appears healthy ,move him in with the others.Even if he was sick,mycoplasma is not contagious,all rats carry it.
ill wait a few days to see if he it goes away and if he doesnt ill try introducing them again! thank uuu!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts