Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found it on petsmart.com and all the customer reviews are good. Has anyone ever tried it? Just wondering..

Marshall's Small Animal Bi-Odor

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i haven't used that product personally but after reading about marshall's practices i'm a little hesitant to purchase anything from them. apparently they mill breed their animals, neuter and spay FAR too young and breed beagles just for labs. there's a bunch of other stuff that gives me a bad taste in mouth about their practices but i'm not entirely sure if its just hype or really connected to them so i won't get into it but you can find a lot of stuff online. so for now, at least for me, i am not buying from marshal until i can verify one way or another their practices.

now, as far as market deodorizers are concerned in general, i wouldn't use them. most of the time they are a waste of money and depending on the animal and ingredients they can actually harm your animal. i feel much better with a water and vinegar solution or taking my cage to the do-it-yourself car wash with the high pressure hose to blast the stink away.

also, as i have discovered first hand, a neutered rabbits had NO smell. the rats smell more then one male bunny.for me that could be because i have 11 rats vs 1 rabbit but before dexter was neutered he would overpower the house very quickly. i couldn't keep on top of it. now, you'd never know i had a bunny in the house. the only reason i mention this is because there is a picture of a bunny on the stink-away bottle...

·
Registered
60 Posts
*** i feel much better with a water and vinegar solution or taking my cage to the do-it-yourself car wash with the high pressure hose to blast the stink away. ****

::Having a wonderful image of twitch's car being outside the car wash, and twitch and the cage inside, with people looking on in bewilderment.:: <grin>

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
was this to be sprayed on the cage itself or the pet?

either way, I'm thinking this would be a bad idea. Rats are constantly grooming themselves & I don't think this product was tested for rat use any more than so many other products out there. For being such a popular pet not too much actual research has been done in regards to marketable products used in their care. We really need to depend on talking to other rat owners for that.

I posted earlier about a tip I received about diet & oder. The tip was to be mindful about animal products in the ingredients list of the food. I was told that the animal proteins actually increase the ammonia smell in the urine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This product is an internal deoderizer.. As in, it goes into the pet's water to nuterlize their waste.

I use it for my rats. The don't smell much at all and smell perfum-y. One thing tho, I only use the min. amount it says for the 16oz. water bottle. Another thing, if you decide to use it long term, you can get the "marshall FERRET bi-oder" in a 32oz bottle for less... And they are the same ingredints!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
allynpsych said:
*** i feel much better with a water and vinegar solution or taking my cage to the do-it-yourself car wash with the high pressure hose to blast the stink away. ****

::Having a wonderful image of twitch's car being outside the car wash, and twitch and the cage inside, with people looking on in bewilderment.:: <grin>
i must have missed this before. your mental image isn't that far from the truth! no one has actually out and out stared but i caught a few people taking a longer look then was necessary. i get the most looks when i'm sitting beside the cage in the sun when its drying. no one has made any comments yet but it'll be bound to happen. its going to be interesting trying to get the new cage down to the car wash come spring though. its much bigger, i'm not sure i'll even be able to get it in the car and i don't think i can fold it down again with the mesh covering it. and i REALLY don't want to have to fight with that mesh again.... i may have to find an alternative to car wash now... i don't know though, it was really easy to use before, i think i would miss it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts