Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi!
i'm going to be adopting two baby male ratties within the next couple of weeks, and i've been searching around for a cage. i got an offer from someone who has a cage that's three feet tall, 2 and a half feet wide, and one foot deep with three levels, lockable wheels, and even a "manual elevator". he said it was fine for two rats, but when he got three they started to squabble a bit. but i'm just getting two, so does it seem like a good cage?

also, if anyone could give me their opinions on bedding & toys so i can have some idea of how to decorate? thanks! :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think it sounds okay, but if your putting young rats in there, are you sure there not going to grow out of it? If possible, maybe go for a bigger cage! :D

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Squeak said:
I think it sounds okay, but if your putting young rats in there, are you sure there not going to grow out of it? If possible, maybe go for a bigger cage! :D
hmm, maybe i'll have to. i've been searching for cages on craigslist, mainly because the pet stores where i live sell teeny cages for hamsters/gerbils and they're too expensive anyway.

i'm only 16, and don't have much money to spend. and i can't order good cages online because my mom is against it.

this is harder than i thought. :roll:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Maybe you could build one! Lots of people on this forum give cheap, simple instructions on how to build a good cage. But thats only a suggestion.
Otherwise you might want to keep searching and tell me how it goes!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha, i don't think i could do that. :lol: i suck at DIY projects!!
i probably will buy the cage, because it's spacing is small enough and the way he describes it, it sounds pretty good.
if i don't find anything better by monday, i'm going to buy it. :)

oh yeah! how big is the cage for your rats?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Technically that's big enough, but you may note that some adult males can be more than a foot long, so one foot in depth may not be enough when they're older. :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forensic said:
Technically that's big enough, but you may note that some adult males can be more than a foot long, so one foot in depth may not be enough when they're older. :)
haha, i'll take that into consideration. -crosses fingers for smaller male ratties- :lol:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Its the deep part, 12" isn't really deep enough for grown rats, they need space to run around, ect.

Try finding a rat cage that is wider then 12".

Craigslist.com is good, people sell cheap, used cages there.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I wouldn't go with a depth of less than 18" for boys.. maybe 16" if you really really can't find anything bigger. But boys will probably get pretty big, so they'll need a lot of space ^_^

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hippy said:
Its the deep part, 12" isn't really deep enough for grown rats, they need space to run around, ect.

Try finding a rat cage that is wider then 12".

Craigslist.com is good, people sell cheap, used cages there.
that's where i found the cage that i posted about.
and people don't really post much about cages for sale where i'm from. (vancouver b.c)
the cage is 2 and a half feet wide, which seems pretty big to me. that is 31 inches!
maybe the bottom of the cage ( one foot deep) isn't too big..but it's the best i can do at the moment.
maybe i should reconsider and get female ratties, since they're smaller and would take up less space.. :?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The 31 inch width is fine, but they'll need room in all directions. If you're getting baby ratties, the cage would be okay I think, but you'll have to invest in a bigger one before too long, even with females. They are smaller, but they're generally more active, so they also need a lot of space.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts